Zone 5 update.
Cut down, and dug out roots of the Plum Tree that was plagued with the Black Knot Fungus.
IMG_20210330_155849634.jpg

New tree in place.
IMG_20210330_181257110.jpg

No wieners to roast, but all the Black Knot Fungus up in smoke.
IMG_20210413_194331170.jpg

My Crab-apple in bloom.
IMG_20210425_180451617.jpg

Scarlet Hawthorne in bloom.
IMG_20210425_180530814.jpg

My 2 flowering pear trees already half way thru blooming. Still look pretty.
IMG_20210425_180548528.jpg

What are they made of and what do they have on the bottom to keep it from rotting out?
They're made out of cedar. The bottom is a series of cedar planks that allow for some space between each, so drainage is good, like on a deck. Then the whole inside is covered with a heavy landscaping cloth.

I filled with Mel's Mix in the beginning. For the last 2 years I mix in some rabbit poop in the spring & fall.

Mel's mix:
  • 1/3 peat moss (or coco coir)
  • 1/3 coarse vermiculite
  • 1/3 of a good blended compost made from at least 5 different sources, if possible or use your own homemade compost, which we recommend

Hi all, I just finished grading the driveway.
I put the new hyd hose on yesterday.
Yes Bruce, the fittings are $23.oo/ea, but the hose is $6.oo/ft also. at any rate, I went to Fleet & Farm and bought everything I need for $26.oo. hose rated at 4000 psi.
I built a raised bed once for carrots. I used fine hardware cloth for the bottom.
the whole thing was a disaster. I could not keep it moist. I abandoned it after one season. used it for a chick brooder for awhile.
Rich, what kind of plums are you going to get off of that tree ?
the wind took my nice plum tree down. I have one plum tree left. there are wild plums not far from us, I hope they are close enough for cross pollination.
Yesterday UPS brought me two apple and two cherry trees. Only we have had rain just about every day lately. Too wet to get in with the tractor to dig holes for them. I wish I had a small bucket again.
the six foot bucket will make a substantial hole.. that's OK, I will fill the holes with plenty of organic matter.
....jiminwisc....

I wish I had a small bucket again.
the six foot bucket will make a substantial hole.. that's OK, I will fill the holes with plenty of organic matter.
Probably better for the roots to have a large loosened area to grow in anyway, right?

plagued with the Black Knot Fungus.
Nasty, nasty stuff!!!!

No wieners to roast, but all the Black Knot Fungus up in smoke.
I'm glad you know how to deal with it. Neighbor at the old house had a small plum in the front yard plagued annually with sawflies and then it got Black Knot. He cut it down in pieces and threw it over the bank behind the house. Lotta good that will do.

They're made out of cedar. The bottom is a series of cedar planks that allow for some space between each, so drainage is good, like on a deck. Then the whole inside is covered with a heavy landscaping cloth.

I filled with Mel's Mix in the beginning. For the last 2 years I mix in some rabbit poop in the spring & fall.

Mel's mix:
  • 1/3 peat moss (or coco coir)
  • 1/3 coarse vermiculite
  • 1/3 of a good blended compost made from at least 5 different sources, if possible or use your own homemade compost, which we recommend
Thanks! Maybe the heavy landscaping fabric would be the solution to Jim's problem.

Rich, what kind of plums are you going to get off of that tree ?
Colorado Blue Plums :old :gig:gig I had to remove the plum tree since it was so badly infected, there was nothing left, if I cut all the infected branches off. I still have 6 plum trees around in all different parts of the yard. I trimmed all the affected branches as best as I could see/find. If it is caught early, it lessens the speed of spread. I know that eventually I will loose those trees also. I plan on transplanting some of the ground/root sprouts while small, into remote areas of yard, so they will grow, as replacements. I have some ideas I will try,, to see if I can stop the fungus from growing, once I spot a small nub. I am considering Neem oil, and possibly Laundry Bleach, and Peroxide. Not all at once, but experiment on separate knots. Was thinking of wrapping fungus with gauze, then wet down, then wrap with saran plastic wrap. Its worth a try. Not much to loose.
Maybe the heavy landscaping fabric would be the solution to Jim's problem.
Here is something I did, when I had some decorative hanging baskets.
They were made of a nice wire type frame, and inside, held a nest type basket. Not sure what the nest material was made of, looked like some type of hay like strands. Brown in color. The replacement nests were pricey, almost as much as new baskets, so I threw away the rotted nests. I lined the wire frame with some material I cut up from my retired Jeans. The material held the potting soil very well. Drained very well also. My flowers grew very well, and never encountered root rot, from over-watering. Jeans material lasted a couple years also, and was outdoors year round. I suppose nylon/polyester fabric would last even longer than cotton.:idunno
Yes, I do water my hanging flowers daily, unless it is raining. I also fertilize regularly.
Below is a funny pix, and it is not where I got my inspiration to use my retired jeans as pot liner. It is no different than peeps growing potatoes in feed bags.
gardening.PNG

there ya go, Molpet.. I always liked hilling because it helps keep the weeds down for a few days, and it makes the row easier to find when digging time comes along.
I learned something today, too. I can dig holes with the tractor bucket for planting trees. I dug four holes in less than a half an hour. they actually look like shallow graves. :oops: :lau
I rolled the decomposed wood chip pile some more. kind of gathered up all the edges and put them into a pile. I am thinking some of them will make good backfill for the tree holes.
....jiminwisc.....

Back
Top Bottom