I had to delay fixing my dinner last night. After picking a hat full of Shaggy Mane mushrooms, I found a Sphinx moth dining on the Crandall Clove Currant blossoms. I just had to grab the camera and some pics before preparing the mushrooms (they were delicious).
White-lined Sphinx Moth on Crandall Clove Currant blossoms.
full

full

full

full

full

full

I had to delay fixing my dinner last night. After picking a hat full of Shaggy Mane mushrooms, I found a Sphinx moth dining on the Crandall Clove Currant blossoms. I just had to grab the camera and some pics before preparing the mushrooms (they were delicious).
White-lined Sphinx Moth on Crandall Clove Currant blossoms.
full

full

full

full

full

full
excellent pics

I'd be happier to see those adults if they didn't have to decimate my tomato plants to get to that stage.
While the White-lined Sphinx moth caterpillar is also called a hornworm, I have never found one on my tomato plants. I did find several on my grapevines last summer but none on any of my tomato plants.

I did have an infestation of tomato hornworms at one time but solved that by releasing praying mantises in the garden.

Tomato Hornworm

While the White-lined Sphinx moth caterpillar is also called a hornworm, I have never found one on my tomato plants. I did find several on my grapevines last summer but none on any of my tomato plants.

I did have an infestation of tomato hornworms at one time but solved that by releasing praying mantises in the garden.

Tomato Hornworm[/QUOTe

Tomato Hornworm
i have the horn worms every once in a while, but when i notice my tomatoes have been chewed on, i hunt for them, pick them off and feed them to the chickens, this year i have new chickens so will have to train these that when i'm in the garden treats are on the way even bought a black light flashlight to find the worms at night

Hmmm, do they show up well in blacklight? I wouldn't have ever thought of that.
i don't know for sure but according to homesteaders on youtube, they do so i want to try it, light are fairly cheap, so i bought one on ebay , going to try it, altho i like the worms on carrot fronds and don't mind sharing, hornworms are a different kettle of fish

The weather forecast says that we are done with frost this spring. I started moving tomato plants from the greenhouse to the garden yesterday.

It really sucks to be old and senile. I recently received and planted ferns. The good was that an Ostrich fern I thought the chickens had killed last year came back up this year. I planted three Ostrich and three Maidenhair ferns. All three Ostrich ferns are up and looking very good. Two of the Maiden hair ferns are up. The problem is that I had 4 Lady ferns to plant. I can't find them anywhere and have no memory of actually planting them. I know the areas I was going to plant them but have not seen any sign of them coming up. Really sucks to have CRS.

The weather forecast says that we are done with frost this spring. I started moving tomato plants from the greenhouse to the garden yesterday.

It really sucks to be old and senile. I recently received and planted ferns. The good was that an Ostrich fern I thought the chickens had killed last year came back up this year. I planted three Ostrich and three Maidenhair ferns. All three Ostrich ferns are up and looking very good. Two of the Maiden hair ferns are up. The problem is that I had 4 Lady ferns to plant. I can't find them anywhere and have no memory of actually planting them. I know the areas I was going to plant them but have not seen any sign of them coming up. Really sucks to have CRS.
Boy is that the truth.
Planted all but 1 tomato, was going to plant it somewhere else.. found it dried up and dead because I forgot to plant or water it.
Was going to bed last night and couldn't remember if I had locked the broody pen. had to get dressed and check.. I had.

Back
Top Bottom