Yeah, squash bugs. I should have let the chickens out into the garden, but didn't. What kind of perreinials do you plant to keep them down? I do intersperse marigolds among the tomatoes.
Sunflowers are one of the major flowers that support all kinds of insects. They have nectar glands all over their stems and leaves. Others that work well in my climate are milkweed, echinacea, butterfly weed and buddleia. Marigolds, cosmos, snapdragons, shasta daisies, daffodils and crocuses. Daylilys. I also let some weeds bloom. Coreopsis tickseed is one, and queen anne's lace as long as I'm not saving carrot seed. One of the ideas is to have something blooming over the longest period possible in your climate. You can also find lists of good plants by searching the net for "insectary plant list" and your state or region. And more nurseries are listing pollinator and insect friendly plants in their catalogs.
And don't clean away dead stems and leaves over the winter, insects overwinter there. I have a ring of planting beds around the outside of the garden where I plant most of the flowers. I don't clean up stuff there until things have started blooming again in the Spring. In the other beds where I plant mostly vegetables I'll clean up more in the Fall.
The other thing is not to freak out and spray if you see some bad insects. The spray will hurt the predator bugs worse than it will the destructive plant chewers and will actually make things worse. If there are no plant chewers at all to feed the predators, then you won't have any predators. So having a few of the bad bugs around is actually good.

Sunflowers are one of the major flowers that support all kinds of insects. They have nectar glands all over their stems and leaves. Others that work well in my climate are milkweed, echinacea, butterfly weed and buddleia. Marigolds, cosmos, snapdragons, shasta daisies, daffodils and crocuses. Daylilys. I also let some weeds bloom. Coreopsis tickseed is one, and queen anne's lace as long as I'm not saving carrot seed. One of the ideas is to have something blooming over the longest period possible in your climate. You can also find lists of good plants by searching the net for "insectary plant list" and your state or region. And more nurseries are listing pollinator and insect friendly plants in their catalogs.
And don't clean away dead stems and leaves over the winter, insects overwinter there. I have a ring of planting beds around the outside of the garden where I plant most of the flowers. I don't clean up stuff there until things have started blooming again in the Spring. In the other beds where I plant mostly vegetables I'll clean up more in the Fall.
The other thing is not to freak out and spray if you see some bad insects. The spray will hurt the predator bugs worse than it will the destructive plant chewers and will actually make things worse. If there are no plant chewers at all to feed the predators, then you won't have any predators. So having a few of the bad bugs around is actually good.
Thanks. I will look them up. Spring IS a new season. I don't spray because I do't want to eat chemicals.

going to be cold tonight, again. it did not freeze last night. hope it doesn't freeze tonight either.
today we are married 57 years. to celebrate, we gave each other a kiss and a high five.
I dropped off the spring tooth and mounted the back blade onto Ollie. I made about five passes over the driveway. It looks real nice, if I have to say so myself..
......jiminwisc......

Back
Top Bottom