Planted 350 +, Patterson onion plants over the last 2 days. They came a week early. Dixondale farms says this is when I should plant, zone 5, but I would prefer to wait a week. First year I had them send when they thought, but I had frozen ground 4 inches down LOL
Part of the problem is that the zones are no longer accurate. Most northern zones are being listed as at least one zone warmer than they actually are. The people that are behind the zone listings are aware that they are wrong and refuse to fix the problem.

We are a very cold zone 4 closer to zone 3 but they list our area as being zone 5. Lots of perennials and trees are sold here that will not survive our winters. They get lots of repeat sales to replace the failed trees.

Our local Tractor Supply is so ignorant that they actually have Pecan Trees in stock.

Over the next two weeks we'll see temps that start in the teens and go into the hundreds. It's challenging as you need AC to sleep and wake up freezing. So we switch between heat and cool pretty frequently. On really cold days we start a fire to augment the heat pump. I lost a bunch of birds a couple years ago because when we woke up it was like -10*, we went to home depot which is an hour away and when we got home it was 104*.

Over the next two weeks we'll see temps that start in the teens and go into the hundreds. It's challenging as you need AC to sleep and wake up freezing. So we switch between heat and cool pretty frequently. On really cold days we start a fire to augment the heat pump. I lost a bunch of birds a couple years ago because when we woke up it was like -10*, we went to home depot which is an hour away and when we got home it was 104*.
It was 80°F yesterday. It is currently 35°F and spitting snow.

My plum trees are all going to 7734 due to black knot fungus. I'm cutting all of them down,, and burning them :old :hit.. Wish I did not have to.
I'm thinking of planting some peach trees. Have to get a variety that will tolerate my zone as well. I know that Northern Indiana,, and Southern Michigan has many peach orchards. (as well as Apple) Same zone weather as what I get. My previous attempts at growing peaches,,, must have failed due to warmer weather variety.. They grew for a few years, produced fruit, once or twice,, and expired. I planted the seed pits from peaches I ate. Those may have been from Georgia. :idunno

You can grow them indoors :old ,,, I wont turn you in :th
I harvested several handfuls of Almonds last year.

Why waste time with pecans when I have a Mango tree.
20220329_151700.jpg

Back
Top Bottom