I don't have a clue what varieties of rhubarb I have.
Last year I wanted some to plant. I looked everywhere. I put the word out to everybody I knew. Then one day an old high school friend stopped in. Oh, I have all kinds of rhubarb, just come on over and dig up whatever you want. So I did. two five gallon bucketsful. Went to plant them. started dividing them. Had over twenty good sized roots.
After I had them all planted, my sister sent me two roots from her old plant. and then someone else gave me a couple of roots. I have a good sized patch started now. lol
then this year, our original patch that we thought had died out, started to grow again. there are four plants in that row.
It can make a good dry wine but takes about a full year before it is fit to drink.

It can make a good dry wine but takes about a full year before it is fit to drink.
Yes, I made about ten gallons of wine a long time ago. when I was first learning how to make wine. It turned out to be quite bitter. Later on I made some more. That was much better. I might have a bottle or two in the fruit room yet. If it is there, it is over ten years old.

Yes, I made about ten gallons of wine a long time ago. when I was first learning how to make wine. It turned out to be quite bitter. Later on I made some more. That was much better. I might have a bottle or two in the fruit room yet. If it is there, it is over ten years old.
The stuff that is bitter is due to the oxalic acid. This is why they add chalk when fermenting. At 3 months mine was quite bitter. At about one year old, the bitterness was gone to my surprise. I didn't bottle it until after the bitterness was gone.

It froze here this morning. apple and plums are blossoming, I hope the freeze didn't hurt them.
have to go in for labs this morning.
annual dr check up on Wed.
that's my life in a nutshell.
My experience here is that frost doesn't hurt the apples but can wipe out any hope for my prune plums but not the American plums.

Getting close.
20220523_083303.jpg

Back
Top Bottom