Kitchen thermometer said -30⁰F.
20230130_065542-jpg.3390651

20230130_065715-jpg.3390652

Last edited:
I like pellet stove heat better. It stays more even where wood stove heat has a tendency to go up when you add more wood until it starts burning down making it time to add more wood.

I have yet to find a pellet tree out in my woods ;)

Me either but then at the time I wasn't finding any firewood there either. I was buying firewood in log length in semi loads once a fall.

When I got to the point that I was still cutting and splitting firewood in nasty temperatures in January, I switched to a pellet stove.
Decided to quote you two here,,, Not related to baking. :old
I fired up my wood stove inside the garage to keep my hens Comfy. I only warm up to about 32.°+ Outdoor it is 7°F thermometer temp by me. Windchill is little concern,,,, since I stay away from being outside when COLD. Otherwise,, I DO HAVE GOOD CLOTHING and BOOTS:old
I have all the wood I need and It is free. From trees I cut in my yard, and also neighbor gave me his logs. I also don't need all that much.

We would have installed a wood stove instead of a pellet stove, but we don't have access to free wood nearby.
In Wyoming, we had 2 woodstoves and access to all the beetle killed pine we could cut and haul. We went through almost 10 cord (full cord not face cord) a year. Furnace was only for when we were at work or otherwise not home to stoke the fire.
The new, high efficient woodstoves actually have a catalectic converter to reburn the smoke and get more heat energy and clean out alot of the particulate matter.

I fired up my wood stove inside the garage to keep my hens Comfy. I only warm up to about 32.°+ Outdoor it is 7°F thermometer temp by me.
I do not provide supplemental heat for my poultry. It interferes with their ability to adapt to the ambient temperatures. I have not had anything other than a little comb frostbite damage.

You think 7°F is too cold for your chickens. Mine went through -40°F in December. -28°F on the 30th and -9°F last night. They are doing fine without supplemental heat.

chickens can handle very cold temps if they
are kept dry and the humidity is low.
I have had chickens lay 100 percent when it
was minus 20F. those were buff orpingtons.
I had 14 of them at that time.
I installed a pellet stove into my standard
fire place in the basement. then the price of
pellets locally went through the roof.
I have a wood burner in the shop. I
go out there only if the temps are in the
40F's.. otherwise it takes too long to warm
it up ..

I do not provide supplemental heat for my poultry. It interferes with their ability to adapt to the ambient temperatures. I have not had anything other than a little comb frostbite damage.

You think 7°F is too cold for your chickens. Mine went through -40°F in December. -28°F on the 30th and -9°F last night. They are doing fine without supplemental heat.
Rich is in the county north of me.
The problem here is the humidity. This morning it was below zero and over 85% humidity.

Screenshot_20230131-124934.png

Screenshot_20230131-125016.png

Attachments

• KIMG0596.JPG
    KIMG0596.JPG
    299.1 KB · Views: 2
Rich is in the county north of me.
The problem here is the humidity. This morning it was below zero and over 85% humidity.

View attachment 3391737

View attachment 3391739
I know what that is like having grown up in SW PA. We did not provide supplemental heating to our poultry back then either. We did not have problems with them during the cold times.

Back
Top Bottom