Same here. Little snow so far this year. Rain in January is just WRONG! Usually I run the wood stove 24x7 starting late October/early November. This year I ran it a few times until I finally started it full time early last week!

We usually have a January thaw for a day or two after being below freezing full time since early/mid December. Not this year, it keeps going above freezing and making a mess of things. The coldest time of year is usually now through mid February where highs are often single digits and negative double digit lows are common. We'll see what happens this year.

Same here. Little snow so far this year. Rain in January is just WRONG! Usually I run the wood stove 24x7 starting late October/early November. This year I ran it a few times until I finally started it full time early last week!

We usually have a January thaw for a day or two after being below freezing full time since early/mid December. Not this year, it keeps going above freezing and making a mess of things. The coldest time of year is usually now through mid February where highs are often single digits and negative double digit lows are common. We'll see what happens this year.
I'm observing the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm expecting it to have an affect on at least some of my perennials. Fruit trees often have a "chill hours" requirement. If they don't get a certain amount of cold time during their dormancy, they may not flower and produce.

Edit: Hmmm... If it really causes a problem with chill hours, it may have a significant effect on fruit in the stores as well.

Last edited:
bruce, you described pretty much what our
winter is supposed to be like here, too.
tonight we are expected to get 4 to 6 inches of snow.
no rain, thankfully.
naturally, my wife has a dentist appointment
tomorrow. she faces an eight mile drive. I hope
the front wheel drive gets her there. my part is
to make sure she gets out of the driveway.

Same routine here Jim, except DW has to drive 35 miles to work, she'll be leaving probably 6:30 AM, well before daylight. That means I have to be out enough before that to shovel out behind her car so she can get on the road which, hopefully, will have been plowed.

Likely to be heart attack heavy stuff.

I lucked out. I was sitting around waiting
for noon to start plowing. unbeknown to me,
Annie called Bob with his pickup truck to come
plow. break my heart. lol
we got about 5" of heavy snow.
all we have to shovel by hand is the wheelchair ramp.
I can get everything else with the tractor, when I get to
use the tractor, that is..

Screenshot_20230119-182024.png

24 hornworms.... I think we need to start raising them

at least we can all say we have a rich friend.
it is still snowing lightly. i will check at noon
to see if there is enough to bother starting the
tractor up. this will be the last chance i have to
run the tractor before it gets really cold out.
i did a little clean up a couple of days ago.
tractor therapy for the winter blues..
I have 5 gal of gas that I should put in the
tank so I am ready in case it really snows.

Back
Top Bottom