Glad you posted this. I need to check my broccoli
It's still staying cool here. It's really good for these cool weather crops. I have 2 cabbages that need picked. Going to have to find someone to share with.

I picked one the other day to try to make sauerkraut with.

3 out of 4 broccoli...best I ever had

KIMG0745_01.JPG
KIMG0743_01.JPG
KIMG0744_01.JPG

Not really gardening, but still related. I mulched around my trees/ornamentals, also around my rose bushes, but no pix. I went thru 5 bags. This mulch breaks down back to soil in about one year time. I know that premium mulch like Cypress lasts much longer,, but I'm fine with what I'm using. Just redo each year.
And finally we are out of the drought situation in my area. Now onto MOSQUITOES :old
IMG_20230702_202110047.jpg
IMG_20230702_202129046.jpg
IMG_20230702_202143867.jpg

Looks nice. Mulch that breaks down faster just means that it is turning into organic matter for your soil faster, so you really aren't losing anything.

Taking this concept to the extreme, I get a truckload delivery of wood chips from a local arborist that I put into my mini orchard each year. It acts as a mulch for the orchard, but also breaks down over several years and I use a sieve to extract some beautiful worm-rich dark organic soil each year for my garden and other plants. This technique is called "Back to Eden" gardening. You might want to look it up.

I lucked out this winter and scored two free truck loads of
wood chips from the company clearing the electric wires.
I had some left that I got quite a few years ago, Ut us almost
like black dirt. just about two cubic yards of it. I have been
using it sparingly. now I can go ahead and splurge .

Back
Top Bottom