1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Garlic for chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lsv313, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Claye

Claye Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great thread. Thanks for all of the information. Wish I had have seen this before I asked this question in a different thread. I need to learn how to search the threads a little better.

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

How much garlic do you put in a 4 liter Bucket of water?

3. nok13

nok13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2012
    again, there is a difference between something that is toxic and something that is poisonous. toxicitity means that there has to be large amounts or build up... so in small amounts something is not toxic but in large amounts it is, like many medications.

poison is just that: poison. u eat or drink it. it affects u in a bad way.

4. DebbieAndrade

DebbieAndrade New Egg

Jun 24, 2012
    A friend told me today, her father in Vietnam gave his chickens garlic to boost their immune system. Especially in the winter months. I will be trying this on my flock starting tomorrow. Thank You for all your posts on Garlic! I live in the Garlic Capital of the World, Gilroy, CA.

2 people like this.
  5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Claiming that as a reason, and it being TRUE are not necessarily the same.
    Many times such lore is repeated, but not factual.

I'd want to see scientific studies before I'd put a lot ot faith in the theory

6. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I usually put garlic & cayenne in their FF. Hasn't killed em yet!

1 person likes this.
  7. DebbieAndrade

DebbieAndrade New Egg

Jun 24, 2012
    That may be a very good idea for you! if you see anything scientific studies on this, will you please post them.

8. miaalex

miaalex New Egg

Oct 25, 2013
    Hi ... does the taste transfer to the eggs at all? Some say it does but, again, there are mixed reviews on this. [​IMG]
    Ta much
    AA

9. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Haven't noticed! Try it, if you think garlic is beneficial for them. Stop feeding it to them if you don't like the taste of the eggs.

10. bobcatdan

bobcatdan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2014
    Good info. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by