Garlic for chickens?

Heck mine try to chase each other and act like it" crack for chickens" I crock pot it is small crock pot quite often......buy it in over 1 lb bags.....
they the girls.... try to jump up on the jar when I carry it out. My girls are "wild girls"
unfortunately, I bought all one breed and cant tell who just got a clove or who stole whose clove of garlic..... wow.... a feeding frenzy.....
all most as much as "japanese beetles times"

I have it on very good authority that eating garlic is detrimental to the fertility of hatching eggs. Because unless you feed the roosters breath mints your hens will rebuff his garlicky amorous advances.
lau.gif

I fed my chicks some finely minced garlic this morning after noticing that the "runt" had started sneezing profusely and that the color of her waste had changed. Coleen at Honeybadger Farms recommended garlic to me as a homeopathic immune booster and remedy when I purchased my Olive Egger chicks from her this past weekend (the sneezing chick isn't one of them). By this afternoon, the sneezing was gone... completely and her waste was back to its normal color... I'm a believer in the power of garlic for chickens!

How often do you put garlic in your chickens water or feed? I have read that it is good de-wormer but the article I read stated they only offered it a few times a year.

How often do you put garlic in your chickens water or feed? I have read that it is good de-wormer but the article I read stated they only offered it a few times a year.

I fed mine minced fresh garlic once a day from the time they were about a week old. They loved it. Now I use garlic powder in their feed and have since they were about 12 weeks old.

I have only administered it "as needed" so far. Because my chicks are little and being brooded indoors during the winter (will be moved from our guest room to the garage after they finish feathering out, then into their coop come early spring), worms aren't a concern yet, but I do plan to include it at least once a month once the weather warms up. I hope this helps!

I have only administered it "as needed" so far. Because my chicks are little and being brooded indoors during the winter (will be moved from our guest room to the garage after they finish feathering out, then into their coop come early spring), worms aren't a concern yet, but I do plan to include it at least once a month once the weather warms up. I hope this helps!
Thank you that definitely helps! I think I am going to give them some garlic this week since we are just starting to get into cooler weather here in South Carolina but I think come Spring/Summer I am definitely going to give it to them at least once a month.

Where in South Carolina are you, @PreChickenLady ? I lived in Charleston for 20 years (my family is still there) and spent a lot of time in different areas of the state.

Back
Top Bottom