Garter Snake infestation

I live in Massachusetts so "huge" to me is 1-2 feet long. I have been bitten by many garter snakes when I have been gardening and stick my hand into bushes and the bigger garter snakes (2 footers) can swallow a chicken egg if they try hard enough. That being said large hens can eat small garter snakes. BTW it is "venomous" not "poisonous" poison is ingested and can be injected but venom is only injected. The correct term to refer to snakes is venomous. And garter snakes are not venomous though you can get nasty infections from their bites. But maybe in terms of aggressiveness the ones around me are just "a bad crowd" Lol
I just seen a 7ft garter snake by my chickens run..I'm freaking out a Lil it went under my house!!

I know this post is old, but seeing as someone has brought it back up I really need to dispell the information here.

Garter snakes are completely and utterly harmless to your chickens. Their diet consist of frogs, toads, earthworms, slugs, fish, and sometimes (rarely) pinkies and mice.

They have no interest in your chickens, you, or your pets. Their bites are not painful at all. Some people can be mildly allergic (like me) but the worst you'll get is a small rash.

Do not kill them and just let them go on their way please.

Back
Top Bottom