Gas vs Electric Range

cassie

Free Ranging
15 Years
Mar 19, 2009
I am going to be redoing my kitchen before long. I have always had an electric range, but I am considering a dual fuel gas stove this time. I am asking for any suggestions as to the pros and cons of gas and electric stoves.

Until recently, I didn't know what dual fuel meant. Dual fuel means gas cooktop and electric oven. My SO was a chef, and that's what he always wanted. As for me, I haven't a clue. I am looking for feedback. Any and all suggestions and opinions and experiences are very welcome.

I've had gas range tops before but have an electric here. It was here when we bought the place. When it goes out and needs to be replaced I'll go back to gas.

I prefer the gas range top myself. The eyes heat up and cool down a lot faster and I feel like I'm better able to control the cooking temperature. It does take some practice to learn that however.

I also do a lot of canning. Some of the electric range tops are not good for that at all, especially many flat tops. I got a special coil for my electric top for canning. It's elevated a little so the heat does not build up under it as much and it has additional bracing to carry the extra weight.

With the gas range top, your pots and pans don't have to be as flat. With an electric, a warped pan can cause problems heating up.

If you get a gas range top with a pilot light, that can heat up your kitchen in the summer.

Gas is probably cheaper to use than electricity but that may depend on where you live.

If you have gas I'd really want a good vent over it to the outside. I want one with an electric too, but more so with the gas.

That's about all I can come up with. Good luck with your search.

you will have to learn a new cooking style when you make the switch but it is easier IMO to go from electric to gas. I question why the electric oven at all? I ditto all of RR's comments on the gas. I grew up with gas and at one point my dad bought my mom a top of the line electric double oven range. She hated it. Swapped it out for a used gas one. So we had mom's stove and dad's stove. I got the electric one when I moved into my own house. Loved it, but then i was young and adaptable.
It also had the raised burners and while DH has now insisted that we have a smooth top, If I was still canning, I would go with the raised burners, again for RR's reasons.
Also, think about how the gas stove will function with the electric off. Cooking sans electric may be a plus depending upon where you live.

I much prefer gas, to cook with. For all the reasons stated.
Your SO probably wants the electric oven because they hold a steady temp better than gas. Easier to bake evenly.

Imp

I would much rather have a gas top and gas oven (to have a broiler that actually does its job) over dual or all electric, but if forced, I would choose a dual over all electric for many of the same advantages listed previously of cooking with a gas stove top. It's been said before that electric stove top cooking is like trying to have a conversation on a bad cell phone connection, lol.

If one bakes a lot of breads and is exceptionally particular about it, an electric oven might be a better choice, otherwise, roasting foods in a gas oven has never been an issue for me. I just can't see sacrificing a good broiler for a drier oven heat that most wouldn't ever notice, plus it's a real bummer when you're baking something and the electric goes out.
tongue.png

They say that the cost of typical cooking is insignificant especially compared to a home's water heater and kitchen frig. I've had both over the years and unfortunately right now mine is all electric.

I grew up with gas and loved it. We did have some electrics in our apartments through the years, the ones with the raised coils, and I hated them.

When we remodeled our house, we have the choice between propane and electric. I don't like propane at all so we went electric. Since my wife is visually impaired, we had to buy a top of the line electric with a flat top and controls on the front. Easier for her to see. We absolutely LOVE it. The internal housing that holds the coils is made with a ultra insulating material, so all heat gets focused through the flat top which allows heat to pass where the eye is at but keeps the surrounding areas fairly cool.

As for canning. I bought a new Mirro canner with a pressure gauge. The bottom is very flat and covers the eye that I use completely. Once I get the canner up to pressure, I set the eye to a predetermined point (e.g. 3.1 for 11 PSI, 3.4 for 12, etc...) and the pressure stays spot on through the entire process. I can truly set it and walk away for 20 minutes. Since these canners don't vent steam and the cover the eye completely, the only heat that is produced is the heat that radiates from the canner itself. With gas, you have burnt gases coming around the canner and heating the room.

The only negative that I see is that canners without a flat bottom do not work well. My mom's old canner falls into this category. I may get a round think aluminum disk and attach it to the bottom of the canner so that it is flat again.

Gas, gas gas. It's an even constant heat, and when you turn it off it's off and you can use a cast iron frying pan for good home fries. Also you don't have to remember to take the pot off the burner so it doesn't keep cooking.

Back
Top Bottom