Gash on back at base of tail

Neosporin (the ointment kind, not the cream) works better than the petroleum jelly since it has the antibiotic properties as well. But, until it is scabbed over...at least until it is scabbed over.

Quote:
I'm No expert but it would work as long as you dont overuse it . But the jelly works better through experience. Anything with antibiotics you dont want to overuse

I think too many people here get those maternal nursing instincts and think that is what makes their birds heal. Well, sorry to pop your dream bubble. Within one week my bird healed closed. No staples, glue, stitches. No maggits, I did not leave her outside. 100% healed. I did not use antibiotics. Didn't wear any booties. Nothing. Bird healed up and is doing what a chicken does. Layin eggs again.

My answer didnt include any glue staples booties or antibiotics. Petroleum Jelly is not an antibiotic. I am sure you did that AND that it did work. I am happy for you! But MY way works too and i guess what i am trying to say it would be SAFER to put it on because it keeps flies away and helps prevent infection. Each way would simply be a matter of preference. You did not pop my dream bubble because it works and i will continue to do it if i ever have to again.
Respectfully
Mark

I have cleaned and pulled the loose feathers (as many as I could with out causing her to bleed again). I don't have any neosporine ointment in the house but I do have some bag balm. I put that on her. May not be what others would use but, I grew up on a dairy farm and dad used it on everything. I know that all animals have a way of healing faster than humans do without all of the added meds. Soooo, I am just going to keep her isolated and keep an eye on the wound. I did not mean to ruffle any feathers on the way to help my bird. I want to thank everyone for their advice.
smile.png

I am very happy for you Mark. And that you didn't over due it. I just do what people did over 100 years ago. Back then there was no Antobiotics, Jellies, needles and Tylan. And some how we made to the 21st Century. And SOME would say our birds of today are less healthy cause of All the meds people use. I try to put a little perspective on it. And realize the animal is doing the healing with or with out ya. And I really doubt that your way gets the job done any faster. If this person wants to put jellies on the bird go for it. I am just saying that bird will heal up fine & quickly without any help from human hands.

Quote:
I agree with you on about half of that. But if you get an infection due to not using something to prevent it it would take longer to heal. And to prevent and infection you need the help of humans since chickens are domesticated. If your speaking of wild chickens and they got an infection the have a 50/50 shot either not getting a seriuos infecion of being weaker and dying from it.

I hope you chicken heals well - I have a hen with a gash on her neck and I have her isolated in my bathroom and have put neosporin on her as best I could. I'll leave her inside until she heals.
it may not be what my ancestors from 100 years ago would do, but then again we have made some serious medical advances since then. If I can help my hen heal quickly and with less pain, why not?

Back
Top Bottom