Gasping hen

Gb_

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2022
Today I just picked up a batch of four hens from somebody since they can only keep them seasonally due to not having coop insulation the Maran hen is gasping and panting with a runny nose along with shaking her head side to side her poo was healthy however and not watery she doesn’t have eye foam or a swollen face neither do any of the other hens my main concern is her runny nose and head shaking if it could be a sign of a respiratory infection or something else ?

Photos?

The symptoms you describe sure sound like respiratory infection.

Are you sure you want to keep these hens?

Where are you located in the world that hen's need coop insulation?

Today I just picked up a batch of four hens from somebody since they can only keep them seasonally due to not having coop insulation the Maran hen is gasping and panting with a runny nose along with shaking her head side to side her poo was healthy however and not watery she doesn’t have eye foam or a swollen face neither do any of the other hens my main concern is her runny nose and head shaking if it could be a sign of a respiratory infection or something else ?
Photos?

The symptoms you describe sure sound like respiratory infection.

Are you sure you want to keep these hens?

Where are you located in the world that hen's need coop insulation?
since we got home she’s been panting less and the runny nose settled for now I’m not sure we’ll keep them if they start getting worse I’m located in southern Canada so even when it’s fall it’ll start hailing some days the person we picked them up from had then in a small coop in her backyard that they could go in and under during the day I didn’t get a personal look at it since we were in a rush here’s a video I took while in the car of the hen

Last edited:
Get some photos of the hens, their faces, eyes, etc. when they have settled down for a day.
You have wind blowing in her face, she's stressed.
Let's see what she looks like once she's penned and settled.

I would still keep the newbies quarantined for several weeks and practice good biosecurity.

You risk bringing disease into your existing flock when you pick up random birds.

Back
Top Bottom