GC Hen lethargic, heavy breathing...

AmberRose23

Chirping
Feb 17, 2023
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Golden comet, not laying yet, 3-4 months old- seems lighter than her sister, we only have two hens
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is not eating her favorite treats, or really anything at all, not moving around, not interested, lethargic, not wheezing per say, breathing heavy, sleepy, has a little diarrhea
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? She was fine a few days ago, had some wheeziness about a week ago before the storms hit we were treating her throughout and she was fine, eating and doing great and now it seems she is worse?
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, everyone else is fine
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. None at all
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. We picked her up along with a smaller GC about 2 weeks ago so they are fairly new, we have a bantam frizzle rooster they were supposed to be mates for, then we had unseasonably cold and crazy weather for CA so I think maybe the move along with the weather?
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Not much to speak of, I have been offering fav treats and she is not interested
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Very small and some diarrhea
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Vet rx and then some antibiotic from TS
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Whatever needs to be done for our sweet Lola <3 We thought we had turned a corner and now she seems to be doing worse somehow, we don't understand it
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use- They stay in a homemade coop that was already on our property, we winterized it for the snow so it would be warmer because this area has never gotten this cold, we use cedar shavings

Golden comet, not laying yet, 3-4 months old- seems lighter than her sister, we only have two hens
2) What is the behavior, exactly. She is not eating her favorite treats, or really anything at all, not moving around, not interested, lethargic, not wheezing per say, breathing heavy, sleepy, has a little diarrhea
Top two considerations are (1) coccidiosis..

We picked her up along with a smaller GC about 2 weeks ago so they are fairly new,
From being intriduced to a new strain at your house or in combination with the stress of the move.. only 1 or two of the 9-11 strains knwon to effect poultry may show as blood in droppings.

we use cedar shavings
Cedar building are fine but shaving are a solid NO.. Pine only please.

They stay in a homemade coop that was already on our property, we winterized it for the snow so it would be warmer because this area has never gotten this cold,
How is the ventilation?

2.. have you double checked crop function.. is it full and hard or squishy, flat, etc.. see if this article helps what to look for..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What is the normal feed including treats and supplements?

She was fine a few days ago, had some wheeziness about a week ago before the storms hit we were treating her throughout and she was fine, eating and doing great and now it seems she is worse?
Wheezing is never a good thing.. and indicates possibilities beyond the top two I have suggested. I very much dislike throwing meds at things we don't understand or have proper diagnosis for.. but for those who do practice it please describe what you've given and the dosage amount also how many times.

Sorry you both face this.. hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Top two considerations are (1) coccidiosis..

From being intriduced to a new strain at your house or in combination with the stress of the move.. only 1 or two of the 9-11 strains knwon to effect poultry may show as blood in droppings.

Cedar building are fine but shaving are a solid NO.. Pine only please.

How is the ventilation?

2.. have you double checked crop function.. is it full and hard or squishy, flat, etc.. see if this article helps what to look for..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

What is the normal feed including treats and supplements?

Wheezing is never a good thing.. and indicates possibilities beyond the top two I have suggested. I very much dislike throwing meds at things we don't understand or have proper diagnosis for.. but for those who do practice it please describe what you've given and the dosage amount also how many times.

Sorry you both face this.. hope she recovers quickly! :fl

We were dosing her with corid half a teaspoon in everyone's water. We stopped after a few days when she stopped wheezing. She was eating fine and acting fine, running around the yard and sun bathing. Ventilation is great on the coop, if anything, I worry about it maybe being a little drafty. They eat a crumble for chickens, plus a scrambled egg everyday, whole corn, black oil sunflower seeds, some bread from toast, earthworms from under rocks we turn over for them, mealworms, oats, grass in our yard, whatever they find, our yard is very clean. Her crop is empty and small, so it feels to me. I am very new at this. When I picked her up she sounded very nasally and started to pant. Her sister is great the rooster is great. She just seemed to not do well after the the week of wet and snow.

Safeguard is for internal parasites but won't kill coccidia. I usually try corid first, then move to safeguard if there aren't signs of improvement.

Yeah, I had a similar story last week. Respiratory ailments can be hard to overcome in chickens. She was lucky to have a caring owner like you when she was alive.:hugs

Back
Top Bottom