Gearheadmb's coop build thread

gearheadmb

In the Brooder
Mar 6, 2017
Hey guys, I've been lurking a while here trying to learn the basics and I thought it was time i join and bring down the collective intelligence of the group, er, contribute, i meant to say contribute. A week ago we went and picked up six leghorn chicks, and are going pick up six more layers when the farm store gets a different breed in.

I started on building my coop a couple weeks ago. If you are into amateur carpentry its kind of a cool project. The reason i say that is because i got a deal on 3×3 boards 5 feet long so i bought 50 of them. I used these to a shrunk down version of timber frame construction for the frame of the coop.

Ive got the floor in and the nesting boxes built and installed. I will get some pics of that and post it up sometime soon.

The coop is 8' wide, 4' deep and 5' tall overall if any body is wondering. Its been a fun project. Being able to build it inside the garage has been awesome. Im making a conscious effort to not think about how im going to move it out to the yard. This thing is getting heavy. Oh well, ill cross that bridge when i get there.

Greetings from Kansas, gearheadmb, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! I like your carpentry work! My projects usually like they were constructed by a person wearing a blindfold and oven mitts! One word of caution...your square footage is 32 sq. ft. If the nesting boxes are on the inside, that will eat up more space. The recommended space requirement for chickens is 3-4 sq. ft./bird in the coop and 10 sq. ft./bird in the run. So you'll be having 12 chickens in some pretty cramped quarters. Confession time: so do I but I have a huge run as well as free range the flock so they really only sleep and lay eggs in the coop for me. You will also be integrating chicks of different ages/sizes when you get your other six. Here's an article that talks about a good way to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/introducing-new-chickens-using-the-see-but-don-t-touch-method
Best wishes on your continued construction and enjoy your flock! :)

Redsoxs, thanks for the link and advice. The nest box is hanging off the back of the coop, so not eating up the floorspace in the coop. I also plan on a decent sized run, so i hope that will be enough room to keep them happy.

G’Day from down under gearheadmb
frow.gif
Welcome!

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks for sharing pictures of your coop build with us!

Back
Top Bottom