Geese and Ducks

Jujubeans2008

Chirping
Mar 20, 2016
Molino, Florida
Hello!
I own chickens and ducks, and my husband and I are interested in exploring the world of geese.
I have done some research on the internet, but there isn't as much information out there for geese as there are chickens and ducks. Since geese look like ducks, and are related to ducks, do you take care of them in the same way that you take care of a duck?
Any advice to future geese owners? There are 3 adult geese that are "for sale." They were a child's 4-H project. Would it be okay to bring home adult geese, pen them up for a few weeks, then slowly start integrating them into our flock? The chicken pen and the "transition pen" that we use for new hatchlings, or quarrentined chickens are close in proximity to help the poultry and water fowl get used to eachother.
Also, I only have a small, turtle pond. Is that okay for geese, or do they need more water to swim in?

Thanks!
Julie

I raise my geese with my chickens and ducks they dont bother at all. But I did raise one baby goose with baby chicks and ducks they turned out fine. Also did it again with another baby goose and they are still doing fine. Not to sure about bringing in the adults with the flock though depends on their personalities because my female geese will raise any baby chick/duck/goose even if it isnt theirs lol.

I raise my geese with my chickens and ducks they dont bother at all. But I did raise one baby goose with baby chicks and ducks they turned out fine. Also did it again with another baby goose and they are still doing fine. Not to sure about bringing in the adults with the flock though depends on their personalities because my female geese will raise any baby chick/duck/goose even if it isnt theirs lol.
Thank you! I got some adult hens from a hatchery. Their legs are scaly is this normal? Are their feet not smooth like duck feet?

@Jujubeans2008 geese feet aren't exactly like ducks feet they do look different.

Also Geese can be pretty laid back some of the year but when Breeding season begins you may want to have a place just for your geese or just for your other flock members. Geese especially gander get very ornery during breeding season and can injure or kill a duck or chicken. I have a separate place for my geese if I need to separate them from everyone else. I am not saying all geese will kill a duck or chicken but I know my Embden gander who is going on 10 yrs old has always been mean and ornery during breeding season not just to the other flock member but to me also. I have to watch him closely to make sure I don't get bit. This is normal behavior for geese they are just very protective of their mates and their goslings when they come along.

Please post pics of your new geese I would love to see them.

Thank you for the advice. We do have a separate pen for when things like that happen. We only have hens, we didn't get ganders on purpose. So we are hoping our females will stay calm year round.

Here is a picture. Do you have any idea what idea what breed they are?

Thank you for the advice. We do have a separate pen for when things like that happen. We only have hens, we didn't get ganders on purpose. So we are hoping our females will stay calm year round.

Here is a picture. Do you have any idea what idea what breed they are?

Hard to see the darker ones real good but they look like they maybe Toulouse and the lighter one might be Pomeranian they are beautiful you shouldn't have any problems from your females other than if you have drakes they may want to mate with them but it won't hurt them to mate with drakes. and they cannot reproduce from that mating either.

Hard to see the darker ones real good but they look like they maybe Toulouse and the lighter one might be Pomeranian they are beautiful  you shouldn't have any problems from your females  other than if you have drakes they may want to mate with them but it won't hurt them to mate with drakes. and they cannot reproduce from that mating either.
Thank you! I thought that the darker two were Toulose but I had no clue about the white one. I'm glad to hear that! We knew ganders could be aggressive and we have ducks, chickens, and dogs so we figured it would be best to just get females. Its fine if they can't reproduce. I'd rather that than deal with a gander during mating season. :)

Thank you for all of your help!

Back
Top Bottom