Geese at my pond!

Discussion in 'Geese' started by fourfeathers, Dec 25, 2010.

1. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    This is what showed up on my property about a week ago. They are pure white, large and do make a honking noise. I looked out one morning and they were on my pond. At first glance I thought migrating snow geese, but have gotten a closer look and now think domesticated geese. Possibly were 'helped' to my pond or may have wandered over. A person who lives a little over a half mile away had geese that I know of, but now their fencing is all torn down and no geese or goats to be seen. What do you all think? I started feeding them 4 days ago and they are getting into a routine of going to where I put their cracked corn/chicken feed. I have a 2 acre pond with a dock and grassy area around it. They seem quite comfortable when the horse graze near the fenceline by the pond. I do have chickens which I love. The geese are most welcome here, I hope that they stay!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do they have blue eyes? I posted a picture of my emden goose [Merry Christmas} just earlier today. check out for comparison.

3. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    They look like the embdens we have at our local lake. I really like that breed and never had a problem with any of them. They really can't fly, so they might be your neighbor's geese. They can definitely wander around to a half mile away. Or, perhaps your neighbor didn't want them anymore and "gifted" them to you hoping you'd take care of them.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    They are beautiful, mine is such a ham! Wow what a nice gift.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    They are Embden's! Definately! Very beautiful ( as are mine) - Hope they stay with you!

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    they are gorgeous...what a nice gift if someone did drop them off.....although very unthoughtful of them.

7. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    unless it actually was a christmas present and not just a drop off...

8. arherp

arherp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Kentucky
    Are you ever over in Louisville? I am interested in buying eggs from you this spring... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by