Geese Breed Focus - Embden

Pics

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Embden Geese are thought to have originated from the Netherlands and Germany. The author Lewis Wright however wrote around 1900 that he was of the opinion that they originated from the town of Emden in Germany, although Edward Brown in his 1906 Races of Domestic Poultry wrote that the breed was created by crossing the German White with the English White and then, by a process of careful selections, creating the breed as it is today. Others suggest that the English Emden's great weight and size was produced by selective breeding with the Toulouse breed, which was then bred out leaving the large size of the Embden breed. In any case, the continental stock used in breeding the modern birds is most likely descended from the great white landrace of Frisia, which has been attested as early as the 13th century.

The Embden breed entered the British Poultry Standard in 1865 and the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1874.

Details:

Purpose: Meat production
Egg laying: Poor, 10-30 eggs annually
Weight: Gander 26-33 lbs; Goose 22-28 lbs
Colour: White, though some females may show grey in their backs and rumps, usually in their first year.

Pic by @Miss Lydia

Pic by @psue

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/white-embden-geese

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/733710/how-about-a-thread-for-embdens/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/404594/embden-goose-how-to-tell-sex/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/834580/when-do-embden-geese-lay-eggs/0_30

Do you own Embden geese? Are you an Embden geese breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited:
My Squishy was the first gosling on my place. He's here to stay. His hatching can be found on youtube even
big_smile.png

Squishy and his girl Fred. The geese that started it all.

This is an awesome breed if you want large and very protective. I've had my Embden gander for almost 9years[April2016] He was hatched here by one of my Muscovy ducks.

Sam is loyal to a fault he can be aggressive towards people but only during breeding season, other times of the year he is pretty passive. He is very protective of his family which consists of 2 females and one gander which him and his mate a Toulouse adopted.

They are a beautiful breed I love the white and I understand they make a great table bird although I could never eat mine[although I have threatened at times]. lol

What made me decide to get this breed was quite by accident I traded 3 Muscovy duck eggs for 1 goose egg.

200x200px-ZC-2112aa40_002.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1ffd12c4_March2014002.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1c6a6b12_May12012011.jpeg
He is an awesome papa goose to other water fowl.

Last edited:
Hi I am very new to all this incubating and I need some help if anyone could tell me what to do, I got four grey goose eggs that I have been wanting forever I let them set for 24 hours got my incubator all ready went to trace air cell and weight them after weighing them I realized all there air cells moved around so I have them upright in egg carton but I know u have to tilt them a lot in the first week or so but I'm scared to tilt them or turn them there just setting there in the incubator and I don't know what to do, how long should I leave them alone before I turn or tilt them? Please someone help me
It sounds like the air cells got detached, were they shipped to you (the eggs)? Incubate them upright, with the air cells (FAT end of the egg!) on top and tilt a few times a day, more is better, but I'd tilt them at least 5-6 times. Start by setting the eggs upright, at a 45 degree angle, after an hour or 5, tilt them in the opposite direction and leave them again at a 45 degree angle. Just keep tilting them like this a few times a day until you lock down, i.e. come to the last 3 days before they are due to hatch. By that time the embryo should be filling the space beneath the air cell completely and you can lie the eggs down on their sides until they hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom