Geese Breed Focus - Embden

Hi I am very new to all this incubating and I need some help if anyone could tell me what to do, I got four grey goose eggs that I have been wanting forever I let them set for 24 hours got my incubator all ready went to trace air cell and weight them after weighing them I realized all there air cells moved around so I have them upright in egg carton but I know u have to tilt them a lot in the first week or so but I'm scared to tilt them or turn them there just setting there in the incubator and I don't know what to do, how long should I leave them alone before I turn or tilt them? Please someone help me
It sounds like the air cells got detached, were they shipped to you (the eggs)? Incubate them upright, with the air cells (FAT end of the egg!) on top and tilt a few times a day, more is better, but I'd tilt them at least 5-6 times. Start by setting the eggs upright, at a 45 degree angle, after an hour or 5, tilt them in the opposite direction and leave them again at a 45 degree angle. Just keep tilting them like this a few times a day until you lock down, i.e. come to the last 3 days before they are due to hatch. By that time the embryo should be filling the space beneath the air cell completely and you can lie the eggs down on their sides until they hatch.

Last edited:
It sounds like the air cells got detached, were they shipped to you (the eggs)? Incubate them upright, with the air cells (FAT end of the egg!) on top and tilt a few times a day, more is better, but I'd tilt them at least 5-6 times. Start by setting the eggs upright, at a 45 degree angle, after an hour or 5, tilt them in the opposite direction and leave them again at a 45 degree angle. Just keep tilting them like this a few times a day until you lock down, i.e. come to the last 3 days before they are due to hatch. By that time the embryo should be filling the space beneath the air cell completely and you can lie the eggs down on their sides until they hatch.

Yes the were delivered, one destabilized the other three are wobbly and go outside the aircels marking I made a little, I got other info to say lay them down so I did is this bad should I set the three at a 45 degree angle and just tilt them bot roll them the full 180 degrees? This is there second day incubation I hope they will be ok
1f61e.png

Quote: If you lie them down, the air cell is going to want to move to the highest point in the egg, i.e. the side that is up at the time. When the gosling pips internally, it's going to pip into the fat end of the eggs, expecting the air cell to be there… A misplaced air cell could also make the positioning of the gosling in preparation for hatch problematic. The best position for eggs with detached or damaged air cells are the upright position.

Last edited:
If you lie them down, the air cell is going to want to move to the highest point in the egg, i.e. the side that is up at the time. When the gosling pips internally, it's going to pip into the fat end of the eggs, expecting the air cell to be there… A misplaced air cell could also make the positioning of the gosling in preparation for hatch problematic. The best position for eggs with detached or damaged air cells are the upright position. 

Ok I got the three that still move at 45 degree angles and I will tilt them every hour till I go to bed thank u for your help I hope they will stiffen up soon, do they get stable after awhile?

Ok I got the three that still move at 45 degree angles and I will tilt them every hour till I go to bed thank u for your help I hope they will stiffen up soon, do they get stable after awhile?

usually they will I don't think Serv realized you had shipped eggs, fresh ones don't have that issue

usually they will  I don't think Serv realized you had shipped eggs, fresh ones don't have that issue

Ok all my eggs I had was scrambled but I got new eggs 12 shipped from two different places and they are sabastopol,African,and buff I believe, they been in 5 days aircel up tilting 45 degrees every hour to two hours and rotating them in different spots in incubator, my question is is it normal for them to develope very close to the top where the aircel is? I have 3 that are more towards the middle but a majority of them are towards the top by aircel. I am excited to actually see growth with these eggs but am worried at the same time any info anyone could give that would be great, oh and temp has been 99-100 and humidity between 40-50 percent and they all but three have wobbly aircels again so that's why they are in egg cartons again.

Ok all my eggs I had was scrambled but I got new eggs 12 shipped from two different places and they are sabastopol,African,and buff I believe, they been in 5 days aircel up tilting 45 degrees every hour to two hours and rotating them in different spots in incubator, my question is is it normal for them to develope very close to the top where the aircel is? I have 3 that are more towards the middle but a majority of them are towards the top by aircel. I am excited to actually see growth with these eggs but am worried at the same time any info anyone could give that would be great, oh and temp has been 99-100 and humidity between 40-50 percent and they all but three have wobbly aircels again so that's why they are in egg cartons again.

not unusual, should still be in the yolk though

Can anyone tell me when they start to lay after the goose has been bred? i have seen them breeding this past sunday monday, and yesterday when we were home, but Babe (the female) has yet to do anything, she hasnt even attempted to play with the hay i gave her for a nest...

Back
Top Bottom