Geese Breed Focus - Sebastopol

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sumi, Mar 19, 2016.

1. AlissaMark

AlissaMark New Egg

Mar 19, 2016
    I need help... i just found an egg yesturday. What can i do? how do i see if it is alive?[​IMG]

2. silly4buttons

silly4buttons Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2013
    Billerica Ma
    Thank you I been on the fence with theses I just love them.

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I love my Sebbie. Her name's Funkasaurus - I purchased her last summer from another BYCer. I purchased a male as well at the time, but unfortunately culling became necessary when he injured his leg this past December (partial luxation). I do miss him - I was excited to breed them this year, but haven't had the time or funds to purchase a replacement male yet. I'm not a huge waterfowl buff, but the Sebbies are such beautiful birds and so fun to watch in the yard. I'd love to have 5 or 6 (or maybe 10 or 15...) running about the place. In due time, I suppose.

4. N F C

N F C More coffee please! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    I hope you can get another male soon...a flock (gaggle?) of those roaming the yard would be a beautiful thing.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Look up CelticOaksFarm, not sure if she is still in business but they are in south Florida.

6. pjnbill22

pjnbill22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2016
    Merced, CA
    A co-worker has Sebastapols and she is bringing a few eggs for me to incubate next week. I had geese many years ago, as did my husband, but they were barnyard mutts, nowhere near as fabulous as these geese! Fingers crossed, we'll have goslings in late April!

7. postalpoultry

postalpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2013
    Mounds OK
    You lucky duck LOL

8. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming

Good luck with your hatch, keep us posted!

9. littlekatzz

littlekatzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2012
    I just recently got into sebastapols. I got my first pair from metzer last year. Unfortunately I lost my male. I wish I has spent more time socializing my geese babies last year as they aren't love bugs but still very calm and have been quiet for geese. When I lost my male my husband let me drive over to California to get a trio of mixes . Let me just say I'm not a fan of the mixed ones. They were obviously not hand reared plus I suspect the mixed part is Chinese . Thankfully I found a great home for them on 20 acres and ordered another pair from metzer to come next weds. I did find some beautiful lavender girls of unknown age locally a month ago and have added them to my flock. They are so sweet and I can't wait till they molt and get new feathers as they were pretty raggedy after traveling in a wire dog kennel. My goose I raised last year is currently broody on some eggs and while not happy when I check under her has never once offered to nip me. (I also have a pair of buffs and a emdem ) next year I plan to build separate pens for everyone so that I can breed purebreds. I am surprised how much these beautiful geese have changed my perception of geese. They are so calm and adorable compared to the park geese I grew up around who were aggressive, loud, and downright evil lol. When I'm out in the yard they have this kinda low level chatter they do that I find endearing. Now and again they will get to honking and yelling mostly when playing in their pool or if our local band of wild mustangs get in my back yard cause I didn't shut the gate and they are sending a alarm. My girl has a mild case of twisted wing that I'm told is very common in the breed. I'm finding that I enjoy my waterfowl a lot more then my chickens which is high praise as I do adore my chickens lol. Between my call ducks and my geese there is always someone up to some kind of antics that makes me smile. Now as to what they do to that lil kiddie pool everyday.. Ugh nastiness lol. I'm still trying to figure out how every lb of feed becomes 15lbs of smelly foul manure in one day (slight exaggeration but some days it sure feels that way) . Honestly I'm in love with sebastapols and I may not have stunning show quality birds but even my pet quality beauties are lookers.

10. N F C

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Thanks for sharing your experiences! When you figure out how that pound of feed works out to 15 pounds of smelliness, let us know, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by