Geese Breed Focus - Sebastopol

I need help... i just found an egg yesturday. What can i do? how do i see if it is alive?

Received a notification on this topic so will respond about a breed I love and have kept for 11 years now. For many years I wanted to try geese but like most people erroneously thought they were mean and evil. I did some investigating and found that some breeds aren't as aggressive and among those breeds was Sebastopols. Well it only took me one minute after seeing pics of them in a Dave Holderread sale brochure to know I wanted some of those fluffy beauties! Long story short I found geese much more interesting and personable than chickens. Aside from the ganders breeding season crabbiness I found them down right dog like. Back in 2005 I found very little breed information and photos and went on to promote the breed through my photography and created a website and breed forum to share the information I had gathered through the years that followed. 2016 will be my last year for breeding Sebastopols due to a desire at 65 years old to cut back and have more time for traveling and other interests. I'm keeping a handful of Sebastopols for pets because my love for the breed has not died. They truly are a lovely breed and if anybody is hesitating to try geese for the same reasons I did, I would recommend giving them a try. My only regret is that I didn't try them sooner in life.

Thank you I been on the fence with theses I just love them.

I love my Sebbie. Her name's Funkasaurus - I purchased her last summer from another BYCer. I purchased a male as well at the time, but unfortunately culling became necessary when he injured his leg this past December (partial luxation). I do miss him - I was excited to breed them this year, but haven't had the time or funds to purchase a replacement male yet. I'm not a huge waterfowl buff, but the Sebbies are such beautiful birds and so fun to watch in the yard. I'd love to have 5 or 6 (or maybe 10 or 15...) running about the place. In due time, I suppose.

I love my Sebbie. Her name's Funkasaurus - I purchased her last summer from another BYCer. I purchased a male as well at the time, but unfortunately culling became necessary when he injured his leg this past December (partial luxation). I do miss him - I was excited to breed them this year, but haven't had the time or funds to purchase a replacement male yet. I'm not a huge waterfowl buff, but the Sebbies are such beautiful birds and so fun to watch in the yard. I'd love to have 5 or 6 (or maybe 10 or 15...) running about the place. In due time, I suppose.

I hope you can get another male soon...a flock (gaggle?) of those roaming the yard would be a beautiful thing.

Last edited:
A co-worker has Sebastapols and she is bringing a few eggs for me to incubate next week. I had geese many years ago, as did my husband, but they were barnyard mutts, nowhere near as fabulous as these geese! Fingers crossed, we'll have goslings in late April!

A co-worker has Sebastapols and she is bringing a few eggs for me to incubate next week. I had geese many years ago, as did my husband, but they were barnyard mutts, nowhere near as fabulous as these geese! Fingers crossed, we'll have goslings in late April!

Good luck with your hatch, keep us posted!

I just recently got into sebastapols. I got my first pair from metzer last year. Unfortunately I lost my male. I wish I has spent more time socializing my geese babies last year as they aren't love bugs but still very calm and have been quiet for geese. When I lost my male my husband let me drive over to California to get a trio of mixes . Let me just say I'm not a fan of the mixed ones. They were obviously not hand reared plus I suspect the mixed part is Chinese . Thankfully I found a great home for them on 20 acres and ordered another pair from metzer to come next weds. I did find some beautiful lavender girls of unknown age locally a month ago and have added them to my flock. They are so sweet and I can't wait till they molt and get new feathers as they were pretty raggedy after traveling in a wire dog kennel. My goose I raised last year is currently broody on some eggs and while not happy when I check under her has never once offered to nip me. (I also have a pair of buffs and a emdem ) next year I plan to build separate pens for everyone so that I can breed purebreds. I am surprised how much these beautiful geese have changed my perception of geese. They are so calm and adorable compared to the park geese I grew up around who were aggressive, loud, and downright evil lol. When I'm out in the yard they have this kinda low level chatter they do that I find endearing. Now and again they will get to honking and yelling mostly when playing in their pool or if our local band of wild mustangs get in my back yard cause I didn't shut the gate and they are sending a alarm. My girl has a mild case of twisted wing that I'm told is very common in the breed. I'm finding that I enjoy my waterfowl a lot more then my chickens which is high praise as I do adore my chickens lol. Between my call ducks and my geese there is always someone up to some kind of antics that makes me smile. Now as to what they do to that lil kiddie pool everyday.. Ugh nastiness lol. I'm still trying to figure out how every lb of feed becomes 15lbs of smelly foul manure in one day (slight exaggeration but some days it sure feels that way) . Honestly I'm in love with sebastapols and I may not have stunning show quality birds but even my pet quality beauties are lookers.

I just recently got into sebastapols. I got my first pair from metzer last year. Unfortunately I lost my male. I wish I has spent more time socializing my geese babies last year as they aren't love bugs but still very calm and have been quiet for geese. When I lost my male my husband let me drive over to California to get a trio of mixes . Let me just say I'm not a fan of the mixed ones. They were obviously not hand reared plus I suspect the mixed part is Chinese . Thankfully I found a great home for them on 20 acres and ordered another pair from metzer to come next weds. I did find some beautiful lavender girls of unknown age locally a month ago and have added them to my flock. They are so sweet and I can't wait till they molt and get new feathers as they were pretty raggedy after traveling in a wire dog kennel. My goose I raised last year is currently broody on some eggs and while not happy when I check under her has never once offered to nip me. (I also have a pair of buffs and a emdem ) next year I plan to build separate pens for everyone so that I can breed purebreds. I am surprised how much these beautiful geese have changed my perception of geese. They are so calm and adorable compared to the park geese I grew up around who were aggressive, loud, and downright evil lol. When I'm out in the yard they have this kinda low level chatter they do that I find endearing. Now and again they will get to honking and yelling mostly when playing in their pool or if our local band of wild mustangs get in my back yard cause I didn't shut the gate and they are sending a alarm. My girl has a mild case of twisted wing that I'm told is very common in the breed. I'm finding that I enjoy my waterfowl a lot more then my chickens which is high praise as I do adore my chickens lol. Between my call ducks and my geese there is always someone up to some kind of antics that makes me smile. Now as to what they do to that lil kiddie pool everyday.. Ugh nastiness lol. I'm still trying to figure out how every lb of feed becomes 15lbs of smelly foul manure in one day (slight exaggeration but some days it sure feels that way) . Honestly I'm in love with sebastapols and I may not have stunning show quality birds but even my pet quality beauties are lookers.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! When you figure out how that pound of feed works out to 15 pounds of smelliness, let us know, lol.

Back
Top Bottom