Geese Breed Focus - Sebastopol

Hello...we actually have two pairs of Sebies. First I can say the are great farm watch dogs..nothing gets by them without a quartet raucous. Lol Ours are free range and are perfectly happy just roaming around the farm yet calm enough to wrangle anywhere you need to put them. Care and feed wise 80 to 85% of their diet is grazing with a little chicken feed thrown in here and there as a treat so feeding care is relatively easy. As for staying clean...if you give them a small pool with clean water they are meticulous about their cleanliness. I adore their baby blue eyes!!! Another plus is because of their white coloring chicks can be sewed quite easily by the color of their fluff so it is wise to band them early. I have a goose setting 6 ( at last count eggs) so hoping to be an auntie again in a few weeks.

welcome-byc.gif

Good luck on the upcoming hatch!

What made you decide to get this breed?
--- We were so lucky - we went to get a couple of ducks, and the people we were picking the ducks up from had about 100 Sebastopols. They offered Lucy to us for free! I was terrified of geese but they said that she was a rare breed, so we took her. She is the friendliest goose ever!

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
--- Lucy protects our flock and is now proudly incubating some duck eggs for us. As long as she's willing and able, she will be the "momma bird" of our flock.

What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
--- Not only are they absolutely stunning, they are (at least in my experience) very docile, intelligent, and goofy birds! Lucy thinks she's a duck and gets along wonderfully with our mixed flock. I will hopefully have at least one Sebbie in the flock for the rest of my life! She's our pet - she comes when called and loves scratches.

I actually first saw them on a TV program where a woman raised sheep and goats for their wool fiber. I was simply amazed by their beauty. I did some research and found the name of the breed under curly feathered geese.Lol We too lucked out in finding ours as we had gone to a farm looking for Marans hens. But for anyone looking for these beautiful birds let me warn you they come in 3 different feather varieties. The curly breasted, the flat feather breasted and the ones that look like the just have a few streamer feathers. In my opinion the curly breasted breed the truest. We have two pair like I said and sell a few go slings every year so we don't get out numbered!!! Lol

What also amazed me about these birds is what diligent parents they are. Our pair hatched out 4 goslings last year. Dad did all the baby sitting for three of them while mom sat on the nest an extra 2 days waiting for the last stragglers to arrive. :)

Back
Top Bottom