Geese breeds (eggs, and egg laying)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by PortugalBreeder, Oct 11, 2010.

1. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    I was searching for the breed of gooses that lay the biggest egg and/or are prolific layers.
    Can anyone help?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    chinese geese maybe

3. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    According to Metzer White Chinese are the most prolific layers:

White Chinese are the most prolific egg laying geese and it is not unusual to have them lay in the fall or winter. Earlier records have egg production of 50-60 eggs per year, with exceptional birds laying 100 eggs. This is now extremely rare, with most Chinese geese laying from 30-45 eggs.​

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    White chinese aren't the best for size, but they are supposed to lay the most number of eggs yearly.
    ETA: I think most geese fall within the 30-45 eggs a year thing.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2010
  5. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

My Chinese goose never ever lays eggs... he does bite a lot though... I tell him every day that he'd better stop mooching, and lay me a darn egg! He doesn't listen [​IMG]

6. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    I have Chinese geese and one of my girls has been laying an egg eery other day now for about 2 months!! I haven't taken any away or nething but she just keeps laying! Her eggs are pretty good sized too!

8. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    China Geese are with out a doubt the best layers according to everything I have read. I had a brown african goose that would lay every other day and laid about 20-25 eggs each year....this summer I plan on getting some more geese...and I am leaning towards the emdens ro Tolouse for size....but I might get some chinas for the eggs also...we'll see...ughhh so many decisions.

9. user69820

user69820 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2010
    Well, I am not sure what I have as far as two female geese or two ganders. So, last night I put an egg shaped timer in an area that I made a little nest with straw. It was dark outside and I heard a hisssssssssssss? I thought for sure I have two ganders but then I could not really see in the dark which one hissssssssssssssssssed? So, today I will go out and check on them to see if they even like their new egg? I know for sure it was my little gander that gives me that loving look, you know the one I told you about that I think is in "LOVE" with me? He comes right up to me and starts talking to me.....I mean we have a conversation.....He is sweet!! I think when they were little I used to bring the telephone in with me so they would think I am talking to them and he imprinted with that some how? I do not know.....but there is some communicating going on between us. I think He did not want that egg in his life at this time? I hope to be able to see who is who? Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2010
  10. PortugalBreeder

PortugalBreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by