Geese breeds

tileman@prodigBird Raiser

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2008
Can anyone tell me anything about the following breeds of geese. (care, noise level, pen size, other)

Giant dewlap toulouse
Gray saddleback pomerian
Sebastopols
American buff, blue

The Giant Dewlap Toulouse, not to be confused with the grey toulouse, is an incredible breed. They need their space due to their large size. I first had an older male who would not leave my pot-bellied pig alone. He would set on the ground next to us during nice weather. Still, he could get a little mean... until I added a pair of females. Now he is happy and content. They are not loud, but will honk when I near the pen (I think they are telling me to feed them). They never give me any problems with their behavior. They stay with themselves and do not associate with the Giant Canada's or Egytian geese. I really appreciate them.

My first year w/Am Buff's, four, they are wonderful and only loud when they recognize someone, "someone's" vehicle or the engine from a few blocks away, and to warn. One of the four hissed at me for the first time in their barn last night when I went in to refill the water bucket. They were a bit alarmed this past week after my tall (3rd) son carried their 50# sacks of feed right to their barn and its usually only me so that may have been the reason or they are maturing? We'll see, so far I love them and plan to keep Am Buff's for many years. They are table size in a few short months, too. Mine do not allow other fowl in their area, I think their surrogate mama goosey girls taught them that (its how I got the Embden and the Toulouse girls, they tried to kill the chickens).

I have a pair of American Buff. They're only 7 months old. I think they're wonderful. No problems with aggression, but they haven't reached breeding age yet either. We see how that goes in the next few months. The gander will go after our dog through the fence, but it has been mostly show. He did hiss at my husband once, but nothing too serious. As for the chickens, if the chickens get too close, both the goose and gander will chase them off, but no major feather pulling, trampling, etc.

They are pretty quiet. They honk if I come outside or if someone drives into the back yard. My parents have said they'll honk if they come into our driveway when we're not home. The gander does most of the honking at that time.

In all, I really enjoy them. They have great personalities and I wish I could have more!

Sebastopols are great geese. They have nice personalities and are mild mannered. Mine like to move the chickens around (but have never pulled feathers). They just raise their wings and run them around.
They are pretty quiet and they only honk when they see me coming. Sorta like a greeting. Would definitely recommend them!

I have American Buffs and American Blues. This is my first full year, though I recently added a 2 year old gander with no problems. We will see how it goes during breeding season. So far they have all been wonderful and sweet. We just love them. They are fine with our goats, who they share a pasture with. Also the ducks, though they will run them off the food bowl if they want to eat. They will also chase the cat but he ignores them.

Back
Top Bottom