Geese eating plums

Hi, everyone! Happy 4th! I'm back with Another goose question. My babies will be 10 weeks old tomorrow, and I've noticed for about 3 days now that they are losing SO MANY FEATHERS. They look/feel more like their down feathers. Is this normal? It's all of them. They flap their wings and run full speed to "practice" flying and its just a cloud of feathers. I just changed their water and 645 this morning, it's now 8:49 and they just climbed out of the water bowl and it's full of them, our pond also has feathers everywhere. Is this molting? It's only this same type of feathers everywhere. I can kinda see some "fluff" poking out through their adult wing feathers that look like what I'm seeing all over the ground. I noticed more than ever this morning when they got out of their coop. New to this goose momma stuff! Thanks everyone!

EDIT: I also just watched them pulling some of those feathers from each other. A couple stragglers were popping through and they were pulling them from each other while they were drinking water from their new water, which is now covered in feathers again 20 minutes after changing for the 3rd time this morning. I feel like I have toddlers! Lol

Last edited:
Photo of their water after they decided to submerge themselves in it. They usually dont bathe in this bowl, they just dunk their heads and usually bathe in the pond. This is just a bowl we keep close to the house for them and they decided to take a bath in it this morning and all the feathers took my by surprise

Attachments

• 20200704_085909.jpg
    20200704_085909.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
All poultry molt as they grow in their new, bigger feathers. I'm sure this is what you see happening. Once they're full grown they'll still shed a few feathers (or a lot if it's their molt). Most of my birds seem to molt lightly (so far). Kind of a gradual thing that lasts longer but isn't as severe.

Back
Top Bottom