Geese Still Laying!

Last year my Roman toulouse cross started laying at the beginning of winter which was a surprise, I’ve never had one of mine start laying that early!
This year her mom “Classic Roman” started laying a few days ago!

Maybe the change in sunlight is a factor?

Last year my Roman toulouse cross started laying at the beginning of winter which was a surprise, I’ve never had one of mine start laying that early!
This year her mom “Classic Roman” started laying a few days ago!

Maybe the change in sunlight is a factor?
Maybe? But then again my Muscovy hens are STILL hatching out babies...I finally got smart and removed the drakes. I THOUGHT I removed all extra eggs after they laid this spring. Apparently I did a terrible job...8 ducklings hatched 4 days ago & 4 more hens are sitting!🤦‍♀️

Maybe the geese caught the baby fever?🤷‍♀️

Weather has been really off this year.. I think AK had its own set of issues. There are a few things to consider with Laying for geese. Hours of sunlight and hours of dark are huge. If they didn't complete there cycle in the spring they can take it to the fall. Sometimes things shut them down. Like to fringed temp going broody not completing a hatch. Enjoy you have eggs...

Weather has been really off this year.. I think AK had its own set of issues. There are a few things to consider with Laying for geese. Hours of sunlight and hours of dark are huge. If they didn't complete there cycle in the spring they can take it to the fall. Sometimes things shut them down. Like to fringed temp going broody not completing a hatch. Enjoy you have eggs...
That makes sense...the entire year, everything from plants to animals have been off somehow. 🤷‍♀️

My one white goose just started laying! (No idea what breed she is, white with blue eyes and no tuft, maybe Emden? Looks more like a Czech goose from a couple photos I just found, she has a thicker neck than the Emden picture.) We found three eggs in a nest she built in the barn. The nest wasn't very prominent till this morning, so we didn't realize she had made a spot there, lol. I was surprised because we were initially told that geese probably wouldn't lay till at least a year or two old. But my gray goose, Tooey, (not sure what she is either) started at 5 months! And now Hope started, and she's around 9 months old.

She has been really wanting to mate a lot lately though, so it's not too surprising she's laying, lol. We have a baby from the two other geese, he's 4.5 months old and bigger than everyone. He keeps wanting to mate with her but can't seem to figure it out right. And then after he tries, she chases him away and bites on his neck. Which is very shocking because she's normally super skittish and afraid of everything. She mostly just wants to mate with the baby's dad though. But I hope those two can pair up since we only have the four geese!

signal-2022-12-31-081824.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom