Geese still not laying

mrs3rrl

Chirping
12 Years
Apr 23, 2009
Our two geese are almost 3 years old. We ordered female, but I know sexing poultry can sometimes be hit or miss (our original chicken flock proved that).

One is a an Emden (Thelma), the other is a Gray Toulouse(Louise) . From their behaviour and voices, it seems like the Grey Toulouse may be a male and the Emden may be female. This is based on 1) Louise almost always tries to stay between Thelma and us, and she is the one that will stretch her neck out and hiss at us. Thelma will occasionally hiss at us, but will come us to nibble at greens that we hold. When Thelma hisses at us, she doesn't really lower her head much, just stands upright to hiss at us. 2) Thelma has a deeper voice most of the time, while Louise has a very, very high pitched voice.

I've read such differing opinions and statements about when geese start laying eggs, but it 'seems' like they should be laying already if they are 3 years old. They will be 3 years around April or May (can't exactly remember).

One last note: I live in North Central Idaho. We've had ups and downs weather-wise. The last week was in low 50's, but upcoming week will have highs of mid-20's. My ducks are laying like crazy and have been mating for almost a month. The geese have shown no inclination for mating activity.

Any thoughts?

Ganders can form bonded pairs very easily, if one is more dominant than the other he’ll protect the other gander just like he would any partner, female or male. If the other gander is less dominant or just more passive he’ll stay back and let the other do his thing.

You may have two ganders.

I'd have my suspicions if you haven't seen an egg yet. You should of seen an egg by spring 2 years ago. Pictures? My geese started laying right on schedule early Feb (Colorado). Not quite as cold but still having single digit nights.

This is the most recent - it's December 29th.

1645402020901.png

Ganders can form bonded pairs very easily, if one is more dominant than the other he’ll protect the other gander just like he would any partner, female or male. If the other gander is less dominant or just more passive he’ll stay back and let the other do his thing.

You may have two ganders.

Well, that's what I'm beginning to think. I may have to change their names to "Tom and Louie"

They sure are beautiful so are your ducks.
thanks. We started out with some Khaki Campbells - 3 hens. Then we got some Welsh Harlequins, which turned out to be males. The very interesting part is that the male offspring of that combination are a beautiful gray and black. The female offspring are like a very dark version of the Khaki's.

Back
Top Bottom