Geese with Children

amyfamily

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 27, 2012
Hi!
I would like to add some geese to our farm, but I am worried about them with my children.. They are 8 and 10. Are there certain breeds that are more aggressive than others? I have been looking at either Pilgrims or Toulouse.. Any advice?? Thanks!!

Either Pilgrims or Toulouse would be fine. I have American Buffs. Mine are fine with my kids. Mine are 7, 9,10. A little boy we watch is 3. He can't go outside without an adult or one of my older two, if the geese are out. We keep the geese in the pasture but once or twice a day we let them out in the yard just because they love to be near me. They are characters. My females have never bothered anyone. My gander does try to bluff people. If you spread your arms and walk towards them he always backs down if the person is bigger than them.

ANY gander of any breed of geese can be potentially aggressive to varying degrees from just hissing to outright attacking especially during the breeding season. Females can be aggressive as well when setting on eggs. Children should never be allowed around geese without adult supervision.

It will depend on your set up, your kids and breed of geese you select.

Everyone will say their kids are great with animals. Many really aren't though.

June - December we have very little concern with our geese and our son who turns 3 in January.

He if course has grown up around them. Has been apart of chores from feeding to evening lock up. He has been allowed to help herd/guide all summer this year.

We dont leave him alone with them, but the geese also give him the same respect they give us.

Breeding season we require he holds a hand so he us near us for round up.

Our society tends to lean towards "bubble" raising kids. We dont happen to agree with the concept of never being dirty, protect from every single possible scrap, or that everyone gets an award/ribbon. We prefer he experiences things first hand, gets dirty and understands rewards for hard work.

At not quite 3 he knows how to count to 20, his colors, abc, shapes, animals. He also knows were a lot of his food comes from since we raise chicken, duck, goose, turkey, and rabbit.

I say be honest with yourself about your kids and how they handle themselves. Be honest about your set uo and ability to provide housing for the geese and fencing when needed to keep the two separate. Then be consistent from day one about rules.

Our big ones are no chasing the animals, no swinging sticks, no throwing things at them. Close all gates behind you, move slowly and talj to them as you approach.

Good luck on yoyr goose search.

Thank you so much for the replies!! :)
I am working on the area we are expanding now. And I think I will give it a try. We are creating separate areas for the geese and for a goat pen (different locations, we are just building fences etc at the same time)

Back
Top Bottom