sassysarah

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Apr 3, 2017
Oklahoma
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone.
I was looking on Craigslist for a new cheap gelding and I saw a post that said "2 geldings" here is a copy of the post.

"I have two geldings for sale one is 20 years old, paint and around 14hh and broke. I bought him to give lessons but he needs too much tuning up to be worth my time since the girls aren't taking lessons anymore. He was supposedly trained on barrels once but I haven't tried. I believe he could be a kids horse if they know how to ride. The other is a flashy sorrel gelding, about 16hh, broke to ride andaround 11 years old. He was put on the barrel pattern a few times and used to know how to sidepass, ride bareback, etc but hasn't been handled in a long time. I'm asking $500 for the paint and $800 for the sorrel"

I was interested in the Sorrel gelding so I texted thepeople for more info and pictures of him. He is completely sound. But he looks thin. I asked if he was a good weight and they said he was a "decent weight" He looks thin to me and looks like he needs some muscle.
What do u all think?
img_37661-jpg.593243
img_37641-jpg.593244
img_37651-jpg.593245

Maybe he just doesn't have enough grass and hay??? I've bought a few under-weight horses before and after a good month of being here in my big pasture field they packed on a ton of poundsand look really stout muscular now.
He does need to be wormed though.
So maybe he has worms?

Definitely on the thin side. Most of my horse experience is with thoroughbreds and they are not easy keepers.
I would say some good quality hay and pasture would be a start and supplement with some grain. A deworming also won’t hurt. I hope you can get this poor guy and nurse him back to a healthy weight!

Last edited:
Definitely on the thin side. Most of my horse experience is with thoroughbreds and they are not easy keepers.
I would say some good quality hay and pasture would be a start and supplement with some grain. A deworming also won’t hurt. I hope you can get this poor guy and nurse him back to a healthy weight!
Thank u.
They told me he's a really easy keeper.

Personally, I don't like the way he's standing. He's got those hind legs a long way underneath him. He's thin, and the bunching of muscle in his back end makes me think there's pain in his hindquarters. I'm no expert, but I would strongly suggest a thorough examination by an equine vet.
I may just pass because it would cost a lot of money to get a vet check and find out that he has health issues.

Yes, he is thin, but I do know a lot of people who thinks this is a healthy weight.
His frame does look good to me though, I believe he could muscle up well, I would just take it slow to work him out. I don't see any issue with how he is standing, he just looks like he needs weight and muscle. Your field will most likely do him well :)
If you do buy him, I would try to get a dentist to look at his mouth as well (particularly if he doesn't gain weight well once you get him)

Back
Top Bottom