Gender?? - 12 weeks LIGHT Sussex

HarrisonCreek

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I'm really worried that out of 24 eggs, and 9 surviving chicks (first time hatch), that we might only have 3 hens.
Of the 3 Light Sussex, One is clearly male, one is clearly female, and this one is a wonder. VERY WELL developed - always big an "motherly" since the beginning. Her name is Butterball. Wattles/comb are between the other two. Tail has been big early on, now with green in the black (is that a roo sign??)

Sweet chook - I'm hoping she's a she!

This phot is 11 weeks:

The BOY and the GIRL. The one in question is preening in the foreground

Here is the face:

X6 way too much comb and waddles at this age. Also very red. If you notice your pullet is almost non-existent and is barely pink. He is developing slower than your other cockerel, but as you can see the hackle feathers come to a point, whereas a pullets will be rounded. Also the saddle feathers are starting to make themselves prominent at this point, as they get longer it will be easier to see the similarities between the two.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I was hoping with the big tail early on, it would be a she. The tail was always big, whereas the Big Boy's tail still hasn't started growing. So confusing!

Back
Top Bottom