Gender? 3 and a half month old Gold laced Wyandotte

Vineyiea

Songster
Jan 5, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Looking for some advice-I have my suspicious and would love some confirmation (would love for someone to tell me I'm wrong though šŸ¤£) is this 3.5 month old a roo? Hoping not becuase that would mean 3 (possibly 4) out of 4 were roosters. There are patches of red on the wings that aren't seen very well with the pictures.

20220611_204214.jpg
20220611_204222.jpg

Also, what are your opinions on this one? O'm leaning toward hen, as it looks like my other two pullets (BLR wyandottes, 5.5 months old)

20220611_204145.jpg

20220611_204134.jpg
20220611_204118.jpg

Attachments

• 20220611_204134.jpg
    20220611_204134.jpg
    427.9 KB · Views: 18
Looking for some advice-I have my suspicious and would love some confirmation (would love for someone to tell me I'm wrong though šŸ¤£) is this 3.5 month old a roo? Hoping not becuase that would mean 3 (possibly 4) out of 4 were roosters. There are patches of red on the wings that aren't seen very well with the pictures.

View attachment 3146764View attachment 3146765

Also, what are your opinions on this one? O'm leaning toward hen, as it looks like my other two pullets (BLR wyandottes, 5.5 months old)

View attachment 3146770
View attachment 3146790View attachment 3146791
First one looks like a pullet to me. Wyandotte breed hens usually have close to perfect lacing and males will have more of a muddled splotchy fewer clear lace on their shoulders. Not always accurate but will help.
Roosters should also have saddle feathers showing through at 14 weeks.

First one looks like a pullet to me. Wyandotte breed hens usually have close to perfect lacing and males will have more of a muddled splotchy fewer clear lace on their shoulders. Not always accurate but will help.
Roosters should also have saddle feathers showing through at 14 weeks.
Even with the uneven lacing? Its become quite muddy looking all over-particularly the wing these last couple weeks. This is also the time my other two from the same breeder just started growing saddle feathers at this age...

Editted to add the front is also splochy. I'll take a picture once I get home

Even with the uneven lacing? Its become quite muddy looking all over-particularly the wing these last couple weeks. This is also the time my other two from the same breeder just started growing saddle feathers at this age...
Usually, hatchery chicks aren't going to be pure and will have some muddled feathers, so this method wouldn't be very helpful if yours are from a hatchery, or their parents were. It also does not like they are growing saddle feathers at this time. :)

Usually, hatchery chicks aren't going to be pure and will have some muddled feathers, so this method wouldn't be very helpful if yours are from a hatchery, or their parents were. It also does not like they are growing saddle feathers at this time. :)
They aren't from a hatchery-the parents aren't either. All the others I got from this person had quite distinct lacing-and this one did until a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately the tail feathers are currently missing due to an older bully šŸ™„

Back
Top Bottom