Gender and Breed? --- picture heavy

The legs tell that it's an ee b/c they're green-ish... you can't tell the sex by the legs.
smile.png

I'm bucking the trend here, but that chick doesn't scream EE to me. It looks like it has a straight comb and no muffs/beard. I know not all EEs look like little chipmunks (brown striping) or have eyeliner, but many do. On my monitor, its legs don't look green either (maybe it's my monitor?). Unless I'm missing something in the pictures, there's not enough indicators to point to EE.

Questions for the OP:
What color are the legs on these two chicks? Are the combs on both chicks straight or just the comb on the larger one? Do either of them have muffs/beard (poofy faces) or are their faces similar in fluffiness to the buff chicks? Where did you get them?

Our newest EE chicks (chipmunk coloring, green legs, pea combs, poofy faces):

broodyhen-ladysinwaiting005-2.jpg

Our production red (hatchery RIR) at 2 weeks:
10-29-08_1528.jpg

The same PR at 7-8 weeks:
19548_white_leghorns.jpg

Quote:
on yours they look greenish

on mine they are more of a dark grey --- which is weird because i have another chick from the same hatch whose legs are more yellow

one has a straight comb - the other has a pea comb

your production red at 2 weeks looked exactly like my 2 at that age --- except that only one of mine has yellow legs -- they other one has dark grey legs (not green)

no beards or muffs on either of my chicks - similar to my buff orpingtons

i got them from an old man selling chicks about 40 miles from my house --- he has RIR's, black australorps, dominiques, barred rocks, and leghorns --- at this point i am assuming that it might be a mix breed --- i believe the mother that hatched them was a RIR

Last edited:
If the farm didn't have any EE's, then it couldn't be an EE mix, right? There are other chickens that have gray and green legs. I know you didn't mention the farm having any of these breeds and it obviously isn't one of these kinds, but for example some Polish have blue/gray legs, and my Spitzhaubens have blue/gray legs too. My EE crosses hatched with greenish legs on some chicks and orange/yellow legs on other chicks. Also, all of my EE mixed chicks are muffed and bearded and have that chipmunk striping.

I think it's definitely an RIR crossed with something!

I have RIRS and that looks nothing like them. At 1 month my roos comb and waddles turned bright red. It was OBVIOUS he was a boy. I think you have an EE.

Back
Top Bottom