Gender and breed?

mikayla08

Hatching
Aug 11, 2018
4B0AACDC-0BFA-42E5-850C-E3B49AD34270.jpeg
82BCCD94-8FF5-427D-A8A6-25BB45E92D99.jpeg
3054E280-B020-441C-B2DF-3A13DDB659F0.jpeg
This is my first time owning chicks and I have two chickens and i’m not sure what gender or breed they are. I think the white one is a pullet and the black/brown one is a rooster? I’ve had no eggs (got them as chicks mid April) and they’re both crowing but the females(?) sounds much different and more like she’s screeching? lol. someone help.

First, I look at the feathers. Cockerels normally have pointed neck (aka hackle) & back (aka saddle) feathers. Where the pullets are rounded at the tips. Cockerels will have tail feathers that a curve to them, called sickle feathers. Look at @mikayla08 pictures. Cockerel's wattles & comb tend to be redder & larger & legs will be thicker than the pullets (girls) when this age.
Your pictures show a wet bird & it's a little more difficult for me to tell for sure. Maybe with this info, you will know.

View attachment 1500344 View attachment 1500343 View attachment 1500342 This is my first time owning chicks and I have two chickens and i’m not sure what gender or breed they are. I think the white one is a pullet and the black/brown one is a rooster? I’ve had no eggs (got them as chicks mid April) and they’re both crowing but the females(?) sounds much different and more like she’s screeching? lol. someone help.

Sorry, I had to laugh! Definitely Cockerels!

Back
Top Bottom