Gender and breeds? 10 week old chicks taken home from daughter's classroom...

To hit on Barring.
The gene that makes good clean narrow barring on any Barred bird is the slow Feathering Gene (K), the Barring gene is just a on off switch.

Barring Gene: B
Barring is a Sex-link gene that stops and starts pigment production as in feather growth to give the well-known barring pattern as seen on Barred Rocks. The extremely narrow and sharp barring seen on the Barred Plymouth Rocks is achieved by the presence of the gene ('K') for very slow feathering growth, which allows for a lot of on/off sequences in the time it takes for a feather to grow. The same barring gene ('B') when on a rapid feathering breed gives wide, coarse, fuzzy "Cuckoo Barring" as seen on Cuckoo Marans, Cochins and others. The barring gene also interacts with the gene on the E locus, all of the above examples being based on the E plus melantoics. Thus all these barring and cuckoo breeds would be self-black if they did not have the barring gene. This gene has greater pigment-restricting effect on black pigment than it does on red or gold pigment. When the barring gene is applied to the Wild Type pattern, the Crele variety is produced; and the barring on Columbian pattern combination is seen on Rhodebars, one of the autosexing breeds.

2- Hen production red
3- Rooster (I think) and looks to be a barred holland

2 has white and feathered legs, so no.
3 BH have yellow legs right? This has white legs. Can't see combs on most of the birds but I have a feeling all or most have pea combs.

One more thing- color mixes with black or barred chickens(black with barring) with different colors can either give dark or almost all dark pullets and ccockerels with off color on neck and backs. So far this one is not showing any off color. Another reason I think pullet.

2 has white and feathered legs, so no.
3 BH have yellow legs right? This has white legs. Can't see combs on most of the birds but I have a feeling all or most have pea combs.

One more thing- color mixes with black or barred chickens(black with barring) with different colors can either give dark or almost all dark pullets and ccockerels with off color on neck and backs. So far this one is not showing any off color. Another reason I think pullet.
I didn't see the feathered leg on the "red" bird, That would make her a mix also.
3 could still be a barred holland, they have been known throw white legs from time to time.

Last edited:
Isn't white skin dominant over yellow skin? How would a yellow skin breed produce white legs?

Isn't white skin dominant over yellow skin? How would a yellow skin breed produce white legs?
Same way Wyandottes sometimes throw single combs; the parents each only have only one copy of the dominant gene, and they both pass on the recessive one they carry.

Last edited:
Wow! Thanks for all of the comments! I will post more photos next week to see how they are progressing. I'm sad about so many possible roosters, but such is life.

Same way Wyandottes sometimes throw single combs; the parents each only have only one copy of the dominant gene, and they both pass on the recessive one they carry.

Yellow skin is recessive. That would be like saying single combed birds sometimes throw rose combs because they can carry it. If I'm not mistaken, Barred Hollands are a yellow skin breed.

Yellow skin is recessive. That would be like saying single combed birds sometimes throw rose combs because they can carry it. If I'm not mistaken, Barred Hollands are a yellow skin breed.
I just misread the question above my post, sorry
hide.gif
. I should probably not be reading forums at night, derp.

Though In some cases dominant genetics can still be hidden by other genetic factors, in this case, yeah, yellow x yellow could not throw any whites because it is recessive.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom