Gender/breed question

Brookie-09

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2023
Hi, this little darling hatched today. Possible fathers are a polish or a silky. Mum is a pure polish. Is this chick a polish? Any ideas on gender? All replies are much appreciated x

Attachments

• IMG_4114.jpeg
    IMG_4114.jpeg
    327.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_4117.jpeg
    IMG_4117.jpeg
    354.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3446.png
    IMG_3446.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 21
Chic will look like a Polish ether way. The Hairdo is already pronounced. If the daddy is the Silkie, then the difference is in the feathers.
From the center picture, I am guessing Papa Silkie, and Baby a pullet. Male Polish tend to have slightly different style of Hairdoos. (kind of spiked shaped strands)

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

The father is most likely the Polish. I don't see any leg feathering and, while it's hard to tell for sure from any of these pictures, I also don't see any extra toes. Both are dominant traits that Silkies have and so would show up on a first generation cross assuming that the Silkie father has those traits (some poor quality specimens do not, so it would depend on how the Silkie looks to know for sure on that).

Silkie feathering is recessive, so a first generation cross, even if one parent is a Silkie, will not have silkied feathering. You will not be able to tell which rooster is the father simply by that.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Polish, but I'm pretty sure the hairdo thing is once they feather in and thus you cannot tell at this age from how the crest is shaped. You'll want to wait 6-8 weeks to tell if the chick is male or female, and sometimes it takes a little more time than that on trickier breeds like Polish.

The father is most likely the Polish. I don't see any leg feathering and, while it's hard to tell for sure from any of these pictures, I also don't see any extra toes. Both are dominant traits that Silkies have and so would show up on a first generation cross assuming that the Silkie father has those traits (some poor quality specimens do not, so it would depend on how the Silkie looks to know for sure on that).

Silkie feathering is recessive, so a first generation cross, even if one parent is a Silkie, will not have silkied feathering. You will not be able to tell which rooster is the father simply by that.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with Polish, but I'm pretty sure the hairdo thing is once they feather in and thus you cannot tell at this age from how the crest is shaped. You'll want to wait 6-8 weeks to tell if the chick is male or female, and sometimes it takes a little more time than that on trickier breeds like Polish.
2x. And for more information: you can sex Polish after they hatch, but it is hard to do without being experienced in doing so and studying how their crest changes as they grow for males and females.

Back
Top Bottom