Gender guess

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
4 weeks ago I bought what were supposed to be barred rock chicks. It became pretty obvious they weren't when they feathered in all black with just white tips on their wings. Seller finally messagedme.back and told me there was a mix up and they were either Dominique (probably not as they are black and no barring) or black coper marans. I've never had black copper marans, dont have much knowledge on them, and am really out of the loop about them. Heres the chick in question on whether it is pullet or cockerel. Comb is bigger than the other 3 but not huge. They're at least 4 weeks old. By sellers calculations they're close to 6 weeks but they don't look it to me. So, any guesses? Also, if anyone has owned black copper marans any input would be great. How are they temperament wise, laying wise, life expectancy?

Last 2 pictures it's the chick in the front. Also, black copper marans dont have puffy checks, correct. Because I have one little chipmunk girl who reminds me of my Easter egger but the seller swears they're al black copper maran. 🤦‍♀️

Attachments

• 20210224_140709.jpg
    20210224_140709.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 20210224_140713.jpg
    20210224_140713.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20210224_140821.jpg
    20210224_140821.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210224_141255.jpg
    20210224_141255.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210224_141256.jpg
    20210224_141256.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 36
The chick in question could be a cockerel, but I think it's too early to be sure. Look for larger, redder comb and wattles, which I don't see yet. But if you do see that in the next few weeks then you likely have a boy.

They could be Marans. Do any have feathered legs? That would help confirm it.

The one that's chipmunk colored, with signs of a beard, would not be a pure Marans. Probably an EE or cross.

The chick in question could be a cockerel, but I think it's too early to be sure. Look for larger, redder comb and wattles, which I don't see yet. But if you do see that in the next few weeks then you likely have a boy.

They could be Marans. Do any have feathered legs? That would help confirm it.

The one that's chipmunk colored, with signs of a beard, would not be a pure Marans. Probably an EE or cross.
No feathered legs. They're clean. The chipmunk one isnt chipmunk colored, she just has muffs. Not sure if theyll go away once her head and face feather in. So far this one isnt red, just comb than the others. I'll continue to watch.

No feathered legs. They're clean. The chipmunk one isnt chipmunk colored, she just has muffs. Not sure if theyll go away once her head and face feather in. So far this one isnt red, just comb than the others. I'll continue to watch.
Okay, I misread that about the muffed one being chipmunk colored, not sure why :hmm
The muffs/possible beard is another thing to watch. If she indeed has them, then not pure Marans, as you know.

You just have to give it a bit more time. In a couple of weeks it should be more clear, since they grow fast.

4 weeks ago I bought what were supposed to be barred rock chicks. It became pretty obvious they weren't when they feathered in all black with just white tips on their wings. Seller finally messagedme.back and told me there was a mix up and they were either Dominique (probably not as they are black and no barring) or black coper marans. I've never had black copper marans, dont have much knowledge on them, and am really out of the loop about them. Heres the chick in question on whether it is pullet or cockerel. Comb is bigger than the other 3 but not huge. They're at least 4 weeks old. By sellers calculations they're close to 6 weeks but they don't look it to me. So, any guesses? Also, if anyone has owned black copper marans any input would be great. How are they temperament wise, laying wise, life expectancy?

Last 2 pictures it's the chick in the front. Also, black copper marans dont have puffy checks, correct. Because I have one little chipmunk girl who reminds me of my Easter egger but the seller swears they're al black copper maran. 🤦‍♀️
Looks like ya got a cockerel on your hands.

Man, I was pretty sure at 5 weeks the comb woud have been more obvious if it was a cockerel. Will definitely wait and see. with my first batch everyone here said this one was a cockerel at 5 weeks. She definitely is not.

Attachments

• 20200326_213608.jpg
    20200326_213608.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20200401_182241.jpg
    20200401_182241.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom