Gender Guessing

Pixijayne

Chirping
Jun 13, 2015
I have a little 3 - 4 week old chick that has had many struggles and I was wanting to take it to the vet but ... if its a roo thats a bit of a cost for something that I will not be keeping.

So I know there are no guarantees but can I get some best guesses.

I have a clutch-mate with it .... the one that's struggling is of course the smaller one ....

Mum is a smooth feathered silkie looking X, she looks just like her silkie mum but with smooth feathers.

Dad is just a backyard mix, with a barnevelder grandad.

Chick 1

Chicks 1 &2 and Dog 3

Chick 2

Pretty early for Baby #1.....it should take a few more weeks of growing before there are any indicators. Your second little one, however, is most definitely a cockerel. I've almost never seen a chick with such a large, red comb at so young an age!
ep.gif
They're amazingly cute fluffy butts, by the way.
love.gif

~Alex

Last edited:
Im scared to say I'm with you, Alex ... #2 for the last few days just feels like a cockerel when I grab it, to pick it up. They have a harder muscular feel than the girls, in my often wrong opinion.

Which is a shame as I have had these 2 in the house in the middle of the living room on a table (in their brooder) we have become quite attached to them both.

#1 is still struggling, it has an eye that is not right. I'm cleaning it 2x a day with saline, and using a moisturising eye ointment on it. After treatment it looks quite good, but before it kind of looks like a dead animals eye, slightly sunken and leathery.

Oh well only time will tell, but #2 is enormous compared to it's outside clutch mates and this little struggler #1 ...

Id still wait to tell.I had a pullet who had a bigger comb then the actual cockerel when she was younger (like 4,6,7 weeks).But they generally turn out to be roos.

Back
Top Bottom