Gender help again please!

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

Essentially I need to know by Saturday whether or duck we've got duck dudes or duck dames šŸ¤£

The reason for this is the person who we are getting ducklings from we have until Saturday to decide. It's the only place I can find ducklings of the same age that are sexed so we can select the gender we need.

I think we have two or each but that's just my gut. We've tried filming them separately but all they do is scream for one another or stay silent....I think they know.

Morning and afternoon videos, I'm going to struggle to accept dirty water šŸ¤£

It's probably impossible to say but I do also have some pictures of attempts at vent sexing. In all honesty I was way too scared of hurting them to do it properly the way I was shown but if anyone can do that I could send pictures. From the vent sexing I think the white/yellow is a boy, the black body and more white head is a girl and the chocolate one without eye liner is a girl. The eye liner one I couldn't tell.

Oreo made a sound -

You don't provide much to gender ID by. The few sounds Oreo makes sounds as if she is a hen. The others. :idunno They are too young for male specific tail curl feathering.

You don't provide much to gender ID by. The few sounds Oreo makes sounds as if she is a hen. The others. :idunno They are too young for male specific tail curl feathering.

I'm sorry, the just don't make noise as soon as the see the camera!

I guess what I'm asking is there the sounds of any males in the group or is it just peeps still.

I have another couple of videos to try.

This is a group one, are these only baby reps or are there more adult sounds in there?

This is a bit better of Oreo I think:

I did not know that!
I have never encountered that here before.

Oreo sounds like a girl.
As far as the videos with the group it's kind of impossible to tell what sound is coming from who.

I know I was astounded when someone said you could uploads videos this way, I'd thought I had to upload to you tube first, it was a revelation šŸ‘

Great thanks though because I thought Oreo sounded like a girl and it gives me a comparison when I'm trying to listen to them.

Thank you! X

This is super helpful thank you! I searched the web to find this exact sort of thing because as soon as I listen to it I forget what it sounds like so it doesn't work with you tube videos for me.

I played it while with the ducks and when I played the male sound, custard started trying to join in! I still couldn't figure out if it was a girl or boy quack as I only had a few minutes before I've had to run out but when I've got more time in the morning before we go to the breeders I will try again.

I think we are going to pick up a girl anyway as I don't think Dodger is going to make a sound, that duckling is almost silent!

This is super helpful thank you! I searched the web to find this exact sort of thing because as soon as I listen to it I forget what it sounds like so it doesn't work with you tube videos for me.

I played it while with the ducks and when I played the male sound, custard started trying to join in! I still couldn't figure out if it was a girl or boy quack as I only had a few minutes before I've had to run out but when I've got more time in the morning before we go to the breeders I will try again.

I think we are going to pick up a girl anyway as I don't think Dodger is going to make a sound, that duckling is almost silent!
Drake voices take longer to change. They will almost have a whistle peep sound to them.
Yours look a little young still yet to know for sure. I can normally predict by about 5 to 6 weeks I pick one up and walk away from the group with it. Typically if it's a girl you will get a real quack out of them when you do that.

Drake voices take longer to change. They will almost have a whistle peep sound to them.
Yours look a little young still yet to know for sure. I can normally predict by about 5 to 6 weeks I pick one up and walk away from the group with it. Typically if it's a girl you will get a real quack out of them when you do that.

That's brilliant thank you, Oreo was the only one that that makes a sound when parted. The other 3 open and close their beaks but no sound or a few peeps.

Husband wants to hold off to next weekend to see if we can hear a difference even if it means we lose the breeder we want to use. Not ideal for me timing wise but I don't want to have a wasted journey. It's really far for us and

Back
Top Bottom