Gender indentifiers on a Black Cochin?

spatino

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 25, 2010
Marysville
I am going to check out a few Back Cochin chicks today at a local farm. They are about 8 weeks old.
I'll be adding them with my (6) 8-10wk old assorted hens.
Any hints what to look for to help determine gender???
Anybody have Cochins just for laying? Advice? Preference?

I have cochins around 8 weeks. A white that was to have been a sexed pullet from hatchery has huge rosy comb and wattle. It is aggressive too when I enter the brooder coop to feed. I'm really thinking it is a boy by those indicators. I have a black the same age that is a sexed pullet that really shows now comb or wattle and is a fairly calm bird. That's about all the help I can be right now.
hmm.png

In my Cochins, the hens seem to feather out more fully and faster than the roos. Not that it's a guarantee, but you may be able to use comb development as a possible indicator as well. The bigger it is, the more likely it is to be a roo. Good luck.
fl.gif

I have two bantam cochins, one black not much older than that (11 weeks) and one lavender (blue) about 16 weeks old. Don't think I can help much, as I was sold TWO "pullets" when I got the lav, and the second one was a roo. Just as it became obvious it was a boy, it ran afowl of my dacshund.

I also thought I was getting large fowl cochins, but these bantams were so cute I didn't really care.

Good luck!

Use comparative comb development; two of my 3 cochins developed markedly larger combs/wattles than the third - clearly were roosters (at a young age). Compare to each other (same breed) and make best guess by picking the ones with the smallest, least developed combs and wattles. At that age you will be seeing some growth, and it is always possible the pullets may have already been purchased.

Please don't bump your threads
wink.png

I had cochins and when they weren't trying to raise chicks they were awesome. Not very fond of the heat, but they love people, naturally docile. I kept getting tricked, but with other chicks, just compare comb size.

Back
Top Bottom