Attachments

• Resized_20201013_183443.jpeg
    Resized_20201013_183443.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Resized_20201013_183450.jpeg
    Resized_20201013_183450.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 17
2 betterish photos
I am not seeing a whole lot of rooster in this bird. Pictures are a bit dark but there’s no obvious comb development. What others are calling streamers look like just regular crest fluff to me. Streamers tend to be quite a bit longer and feather type is a bit different. I think you just need to give it some more time. Obviously if you wait long enough you will know either way!😊

I am not seeing a whole lot of rooster in this bird. Pictures are a bit dark but there’s no obvious comb development. What others are calling streamers look like just regular crest fluff to me. Streamers tend to be quite a bit longer and feather type is a bit different. I think you just need to give it some more time. Obviously if you wait long enough you will know either way!😊

My husband constantly tells me to just wait and see, but I obsess over it haha! And I cling on to every response that doesn't immediately say Roo haha! It is a fun game for me almost.

Hmmm this is a tough one. If she/he is actually close to 5 months I'd say it's probably a little pullet given that the comb isn't especially large and their are no for sure streamers which you'd usually be seeing by this age.

When silkies first start growing in streamers they can look similar to how your little ones crest looks but pullets can also appear that way especially when they are growing their crests in still.

I've had young cockerels look similar to your cutie right as they start growing their streamers in. However they are usually much younger when this happens. I find 10-12 weeks on average in most I've hatched from my own flock and from most I've hatched from other breeders hatching eggs. Sometimes silkies can fool even the most experienced breeders but it doesn't seem to happen especially often.

I guess it could really still go either way at this point depending on age. If they weren't drastically off on age I'm going to say your little one is looking more like a pullet though. :)

Here is a photo of the day I got Fluffy, about 10 weeks ago. The person I got her from said they were 5 months, I am far from a chicken expert but I don't believe that! My best guess was around 10 weeks old just from other silkie photos I have seen.

Attachments

• 20200821_214421.jpg
    20200821_214421.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 14
Here is a photo of the day I got Fluffy, about 10 weeks ago. The person I got her from said they were 5 months, I am far from a chicken expert but I don't believe that! My best guess was around 10 weeks old just from other silkie photos I have seen.

Aww such a cutie! She definitely did not look like a 5 month old when you got her. Given you've had her for 10 weeks and she had to be at least 6+ weeks when you got her to be that fully feathered I'd say your chances of her being a little pullet are pretty good. :)

Back
Top Bottom