General genetics questions...

Another question -

View attachment 2379691

Most of my birds have the Columbian neck markings right? Like even the brown hen behind this buff one has Columbian neck lines.

The birds that I bred was a
Rooster - Ee male over a SLW hen
White Ameraucana Hen
Or the white/red EE pictured above.

Would this almost blue laced buff hen get her lacing from the SLW in her genetics?
Yep!

Another question!! I'm sorry. I'm probably being annoying.

So my pullets are starting to lay and I've been getting blue, a green, and today I found this cream one. The rooster probably had the brown egg genes, due to being half Wyandotte, but their mom(s) have blue.

The other two are a mix of the blue*brown, but why did the tan egg not get the blue? Is blue considered recessive?

My knowledge for egg mixing might be skewed because of the way olive Eggers are made - you mix blue and brown and get a dark green through layering of colors.

I'm definitely not upset that she doesn't lay blue eggs - just surprised that she's my only tan/tinted egg layer.

IMG_20201021_175357.jpg

So my pullets are starting to lay and I've been getting blue, a green, and today I found this cream one. The rooster probably had the brown egg genes, due to being half Wyandotte, but their mom(s) have blue.

The other two are a mix of the blue*brown, but why did the tan egg not get the blue? Is blue considered recessive?

My knowledge for egg mixing might be skewed because of the way olive Eggers are made - you mix blue and brown and get a dark green through layering of colors.

I'm definitely not upset that she doesn't lay blue eggs - just surprised that she's my only tan/tinted egg layer.

View attachment 2382225
View attachment 2379235

Managed to get a picture of them together! White one is momma, brown one is her baby. ❤️
How cool! Just keep your blue egg layer always on hand so that she can keep adding to the variety in the egg carton. Give her love for those beautiful eggs!

It’s fun tucking a blue egg under a newly-broody hen that lays brown eggs that is also fostering some green eggs!! Things can get confusing .....

View attachment 2382225
Blue is dominant, but if their moms were first generation crosses between a blue egg layer and a brown egg layer, that means they have only 1 copy of the blue gene. If bred to a brown layer, only fifty percent of the offspring will have the blue gene.

I'm back on my basic questions LMAO
So I used the genetics calculator and have this mix here
Screenshot_20201124-233235.png

My boy is a Blue Wheaten. My hen is a lemon color with super light blue lacing and Columbian neck markings. With their EE heritage the birds in the possibility list probably won't exist right? If I breed her to a laced bird, like a splash laced wyandotte, is there a better possibility for her lacing to be passed down or has the EE genetics taken away a lot for possible breeding?

I'm back on my basic questions LMAO
So I used the genetics calculator and have this mix here
View attachment 2425187

My boy is a Blue Wheaten. My hen is a lemon color with super light blue lacing and Columbian neck markings. With their EE heritage the birds in the possibility list probably won't exist right? If I breed her to a laced bird, like a splash laced wyandotte, is there a better possibility for her lacing to be passed down or has the EE genetics taken away a lot for possible breeding?
Yes. If you breed her to a laced bird, she will have a higher chance of her lacing being passed down.

Is he Wheaten, or Duckwing? What's the difference between the two?

(Sorry about the mess - Southern hoarding at its finest)
View attachment 2427598
You can't tell in roosters, but hens with the wheaten gene will be a creamy color while duckwing hens will be the traditional brown Leghorn color. Or they can have a copy of each gene, and look inbetweenish. So overall wheaten causes more red extension. Your boy could be blue red duckwing or blue red wheaten or blue red wheaten/duckwing heterozygote.

Back
Top Bottom