Genesis or Octagon?

sigh....I'm just not sure which one to go with, lol. Sounds like I'm gonna be good with either one. I know the Genesis has a thermostat, does it do a good job at keeping the temp stable? Is it easier to keep humidity up? Also, do I need a digital thermometer to place in ther? (I have had reptile thermometers but they are awful, lol.)

Here is the BIG difference between the two in my opinion: The genesis is styrofoam and not so easy to clean and the Brinsea's entire bottom half is plastic and can be dunked in the sink for cleaning. The top only needs some canned air to blow out the dust and feathers. I wouldn't trade my Brinsea for anything!

Quote:
I have less trouble keeping humidity up in the Hovabator with electronic thermostat that keeps the temp stable as long as there are not big swings in room temperature. It only makes sense that more water with more surface area would be easier to keep humidity. I use a digital thermometor/hygrometer in both. (less than $7 from Walmart). I don't see the problem cleaning the hovabator. The plastic tray slips out for easy cleaning, (just don't use too hot of water). My brinsea has become foggy betweeen the two clear plastic upper portions and that is not easily reachable. I hate to srart disassembling it to clean but I don't see any alternative if I want to regain visability. You can incubate twice as many eggs in the Gensis as the Brinsea.
Just one mans opinion. We each have one---(Just like ***holes).

You actually can't tilt a Genesis like you can a Brinsea. The brinsea tilts to 45 degrees. That's the idea turning angle according to hatchability research. Anything less than that hurts hatches. You'd have to stand the Genesis up on two or three phone books to get that angle, and all your eggs would fall over.

To clean the top section (above the plastic grate) you take six screws out and just wash it with soapy water. Instructions are in the manual. I don't do it for every hatch but maybe every other. It takes ninety seconds tops.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've run them in conditions ranging from 70 percent humidity (early fall) to 20 percent humidity (right now, with the ground frozen and the pellet stove going 24/7) and I never have any trouble getting a rock-solid RH. When it's wetter outside, one well equals 37-40% humidity and two gets you 60+ for lockdown. When it's dry, two wells equals 37% and two sponges or maxipads equals 65%. I've been looking at a hygrometer that says 65% for the last two days, never varies. When I saw it drop to 62 when I got up this morning I added more water (wells were empty) and in less than a minute it was at 65 again.

The biggest thing for me, for sure, is NO DUMB LOCKDOWN in the Brinsea. You can open it as often as four times a day according to the manual and in my experience you can do it even more often if you add hot water each time you open it. No soul-searching about taking out hungry or thirsty chicks, no freaking out because the incubator is out of water and the RH is dropping, no sitting and watching and being unable to intervene.

So as a hard working college student (Not being home during the day) and a hard-working show chicken person (doing all that in the evenings) it sounds like they are both great incubators, now I wouldn't be getting the octagon advanced, (399.00) just the octagon (199.00), so does that make a difference?

The advanced is a little better than the eco and you can add a costly humidity control. Over all not worth the difference, to me. From what I think hear from you I would think you would want the higher capacity of the hovabator. Most think you can never have too much capacity.

Quote:
I subscribe to this thought. However, if all you want to do is small htaches, then the Brinsea could be the way to go.

Even though I love my Hova-Bator, when I get the money, I would love to get a Brinsea. They look like they are smaller in physical dimension than the Hova-Bator, which would be sooooo much better for the space we do have.

Stretch a volleyball out into a cylinder and that's how big they are. So yes, MUCH less table space. I have one in lockdown so I'm keeping a close eye on it. It is sitting on a bar stool right now next to me, if that gives you an idea.

Only hatched once and used the genesis. It was awesome and idiot proof. It was easy to see what was going on, held temps/humidity awesome. I just cleaned it for my second hatch and it was super easy to clean.

Back
Top Bottom