Genesis or Octagon?

peeps7

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
North Carolina
Okay guys I need to know which of these to get, the Genesis Hovabator or the Octagon 20. I need a new incubator and these are my choices. Which is better, gives a better hatch rate, etc? Thanks!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Genesis is still a styrobator with all the flaws of styrofoam.

For the price of Genesis you can almost get 2 Brinsea ECO's (when on sale).

To me this is no brainer, the only "adventage" Genesis has over Brinsea is capacity, but if you get 2 Ecos you have same capacity like Genesis with more quality and flexibility since you can do staggered hatches.

Besides eggs in ECO can be double stacked, and quail eggs can be even triple stacked to double or triple ECO's capacity.

I have one hatching experience with a styrofoam incubator, and it was NOT a good experience. I would recommend the Brinsea. I have the ECO, and it's very easy to use and works wonderfully. My first hatch in the Brinsea was 24 out of 24 shipped eggs.
The Brinsea is easy to clean, too.
wink.png

I have both... I love my Octagon 20 and I love my Hova-bator. They both preform the basic functions, hatching eggs. Questions you have to ask yourself:

1. How many eggs are you hatching? The Octagon 20 will be cramed full with 24 eggs, the Hova can fit 42 with the turner and more with out.

2. How much time do you spend with your bator? The Octagon 20 with turner is set and leave. Checking it a couple of times a day for temp and humidity. The Hova, I don't care what any one else says, you gotta watch it. Of course that depends on which thermostat it has (and there are the Wafer VS electronic arguments)

3. What are you hatching? Just chickens then then apples and oranges..

4. How much do you like to clean? The Octagon 20 is plastic. Soap and Water, then rinse, and spritz with a little bleach water and your done. Styrofoam, well theres going to be soaking and cleaning going on there.

I like both.. But if I have a small hatch, hard to hatch breed, shipped eggs, they are going in the brinsea. Local eggs, or more common eggs then they are going in the Hova..

Last edited:
I don't own a genesis. or a Brinsea product, but I'm having good luck with our Hova-Bator #1582....

One of these days, when we have the money, I would like to get a Brinsea.

Does anyone have any physical dimensions on the Brinsea units? They look to be a bit smaller than my Hova-Bator....(Which would be good for us)

Last edited:
I'm a brinsea fan. it is easy peasy to clean hatch rate is pretty darn good, and the design is very nice if you are not going to get the egg turning option. I ended up getting the egg turner, but if I didn't, all you have to do is rock the brinsea, since it is octagon shaped. things I didn't like about the hovabator, is it is styrofoam, would not be easy to clean, some don't have the fan, and you have to turn by hand. (i think, it;s been a while)

I love my brinsea eco 20 with egg turner. Worth the money. hands down.

Quote:
Genesis is still a styrobator with all the flaws of styrofoam.

For the price of Genesis you can almost get 2 Brinsea ECO's (when on sale).

To me this is no brainer, the only "adventage" Genesis has over Brinsea is capacity, but if you get 2 Ecos you have same capacity like Genesis with more quality and flexibility since you can do staggered hatches.

Besides eggs in ECO can be double stacked, and quail eggs can be even triple stacked to double or triple ECO's capacity.

**** I've got both and I'd trade my brinsea eco 20 for another 1588 with turner in a heartbeat. Harder to keep humidity up in the brinsea and the lower egg volume is not the only problem. Partial rows tend to fall over and variances in egg size make setting up rows challenging. Visabilty in the 1588 is also much better than the Brinsea. Water spillage is a problem with the brinsea . When you fill it, you have to take into account the max tilt of the turner, or you have water running out of the drain holes. Google and you will see prices are very comparable. Another big plus is that the 1588 can be run off a car battery in case of an electrical outage. An option you would not like to have to use but glad to have if you need it.
Just my opinion but wish somebody had explained all this to me.

Okay.... campers.... I sit in both camps... I LOVE my 1588... yep it is styrofoam but it has a lot of capacity... It holds steady as it has a preset electronic thermostat... BIG DEAL HERE!!! It has a nice window... I can use it as a brooder also... It seals up better than any of the other stryro bators.... You cannot compare the 1588 to another styrobator...they just aren't the same... Hatch rate close to 100 percent on both...It boils down to which one you want...If I had to pick only one...I would take the Genesis....sorry folks... They are about 160 complete with turner.. same price for brinsea... So... more bang for the buck... They are more difficult to clean and you have to take care of them... if you don't want to buy a turner you may use new or sterile egg cups from foam cartons and tip the entire bator like you would the Brinsea... this works also... It is a set it and forget it with the turner however.

What you get is determined by need... i made dividers for the 1588 and can hatch from 4 sets at a time and know which is which...still lots of room.

I think it is important to talk about the Genesis as a different bator than the other styrofoam as it isn't the same mechanics at all... Turbo fan and electronic thermostat... it is preset....(it can be changed if need be) I think if you have had one... you will understand the merit...It is a toss up which one I would use for shipped eggs... The Hove has hatched many a mailed egg....Never had a lick of trouble in 2 1/2 years with it.... always steady.

I have shipped eggs in the hove right now and my eggs in the brinsea.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom