genetic/color question

Both are girls !
Here one of mine :
.... wow... Blue eyes !
th.gif
But they are not siblings, at least I do not think they are, but it is possible. I put 8 eggs from 4 different pairs under a broody Peahen, 6 hatched, and I know which ones didn't. I assumed these 2 were from different parents, but they could be from the same parents. If so, it is these 2.

Father

Mother

I did not think there was green blood in either of these parents.

hey guys thanks for answering my questions in terms I can understand that definitely helped me out a lot

definitely looking forward to breeding season this year

its nice to be back into peafowl again

thanks....cole

th.gif
But they are not siblings, at least I do not think they are, but it is possible. I put 8 eggs from 4 different pairs under a broody Peahen, 6 hatched, and I know which ones didn't. I assumed these 2 were from different parents, but they could be from the same parents. If so, it is these 2.

Father

Mother

I did not think there was green blood in either of these parents.

Was there any green blood that you know of in any of the other three pairs? If it was this pair, it explains the black shoulder feathers, though, doesn't it? The male looks split BS in that photo...

What fun to have a mystery
pop.gif

(Actually, that would be a fun game -- post the photos of the parents and see if we can match the chick to pop & ma
gig.gif
)

Was there any green blood that you know of in any of the other three pairs? If it was this pair, it explains the black shoulder feathers, though, doesn't it? The male looks split BS in that photo...

What fun to have a mystery
pop.gif

(Actually, that would be a fun game -- post the photos of the parents and see if we can match the chick to pop & ma
gig.gif
)

As far as I know none of the pairs are carrying green genes. But we all know it is not really possible to be sure about that, it could be many generations back. I did suspect the male in the pic was a BS split and this kind of confirmed that for me. He is a richly colored bird, hard to explain, but even the tan on his striped wing feathers is more of a reddish/tan than the others. I don't know if that "richness" could be an indicator of green genes or not.

I asked because in post #9 I was told that a white eyed hens back feathers would only be tipped or (frosted?) in white...
idunno.gif
As usual, I'm confused.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to White Eye. I am thinking it may show up either way. I am also not sure if 1 copy versus 2 copies could change the way it appears visually? I posted a pic of that hen and some of the more experienced members told me she was likely split to Pied and WE. I assumed they thought WE because of the way the feathers are located running down across what would be her train if she were a boy. I think she has 2 or 3 that may just be white tipped, but she was hen hatched and she is a WILD NUTCASE so getting a thorough up close look is not gonna happen. I have kept her just because I want some nice Spalding Pieds eventually and she has the right genes. After I get some chicks from her I will probably try to sell her, I don't like birds this hard to deal with. Her mother was a BS and she had a couple of flights that were white tipped as well as one black tail feather that had a white tip. Other than that you couldn't see what she was split to because of the BS hen's natural coloring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom