Genetic Hackle Fowl Chat

Just popping in to say I am grateful for passionate breeders like y'all who'll post about the genetics of things publicly for the weirdos like me who enjoy reading that. I read all 24 pages and cannot wait for more posts.

Just popping in to say I am grateful for passionate breeders like y'all who'll post about the genetics of things publicly for the weirdos like me who enjoy reading that. I read all 24 pages and cannot wait for more posts.
LOL @miss heny
Would you kindly weigh in on these breed choices that I just purchased? My goal was to introduce hackle-ish genetics to my backyard egg-laying flock of 40 hens, so there might be secondary revenue from the feathers of roosters that hatch. I realize these won't be whiting quality. I just ordered: exhibition barred rock, exhibition rhode island red, black breasted phoenix, sicilian buttercup, and cream legbar for the standard chicken flock. I am also trying some bantams for the first time: dominique, phoenix, and mille fleur. What do you think?

Look what we're getting! Ever since the darkest day of the year 🤪
They are laying more than we expected!
One hen in particular is very regular, every day almost, hers weigh a little more. I've narrowed it down to one of the two reds. Hers are rather pink. (See bottom row, all the way to the right) I didn't quite catch the color.)

View attachment 3362730View attachment 3362734
gorgeous texture :)
May i ask where you get your clear plastic egg cartons from? The only ones I have seen in bulk are from McMurray and with shipping they come out to about $0.50/carton.

LOL @miss heny
Would you kindly weigh in on these breed choices that I just purchased? My goal was to introduce hackle-ish genetics to my backyard egg-laying flock of 40 hens, so there might be secondary revenue from the feathers of roosters that hatch. I realize these won't be whiting quality. I just ordered: exhibition barred rock, exhibition rhode island red, black breasted phoenix, sicilian buttercup, and cream legbar for the standard chicken flock. I am also trying some bantams for the first time: dominique, phoenix, and mille fleur. What do you think?
Not a hackle breeder, in theory any of these birds would work but most likely will take a few generations to get the quality most want. Me personally I would of invested in a GH rooster to cover my hens, the f1 offsprings may not have their father's hackles but will be better than their non hackle mother. I would also wonder if trying to both work on layer ability and hackle growth you risk conflict of nutritional use as both growing the hackle and laying eggs are resource intensive. You would have to invest in high protein feed and oyster shell supplements on the side.

I would akin it to the fibro breeds, most have sacrificed egg laying for the most intense expression of the Fibro genes. Now people have outcross for better layers with fibro traits but they often aren't as intense of fibro expression as a trade off.

gorgeous texture :)
May i ask where you get your clear plastic egg cartons from? The only ones I have seen in bulk are from McMurray and with shipping they come out to about $0.50/carton.

That carton came in a set from Amzn which was inexpensive but horrible. My mom was upset with how poorly they closed and sent the rest back. I agree clear cartons are awesome!

My goal was to introduce hackle-ish genetics to my backyard egg-laying flock of 40 hens, so there might be secondary revenue from the feathers of roosters that hatch. I realize these won't be whiting quality.

From what I understand, the problem is, and which many years of breeding set out to solve... is that the feathers of other breeds will twist as they are bent. That makes it hard for the fly tier to create the complex shapes that resemble bugs to fish.
Also, there's the matter of buoyancy. With less barbicels and increased stiffness of the filaments, the GH feathers can trap more air, so they float on the surface of the water.

They can still tie simple flies with other feathers, just like they used to before GH, but they have to add something to make it float, such as oil, and those designs only work with certain fish. I got this magazine right in my supermarket last year, it was funny timing, which shows a bunch of the different fly patterns and lists the fish each was developed for. It's surprisingly specific.

I'm certain there must be more creative uses we can put feathers to besides hair ornaments. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to have a throw blanket knitted out of feathers somehow?

From what I understand, the problem is, and which many years of breeding set out to solve... is that the feathers of other breeds will twist as they are bent. That makes it hard for the fly tier to create the complex shapes that resemble bugs to fish.
Also, there's the matter of buoyancy. With less barbicels and increased stiffness of the filaments, the GH feathers can trap more air, so they float on the surface of the water.

They can still tie simple flies with other feathers, just like they used to before GH, but they have to add something to make it float, such as oil, and those designs only work with certain fish. I got this magazine right in my supermarket last year, it was funny timing, which shows a bunch of the different fly patterns and lists the fish each was developed for. It's surprisingly specific.

I'm certain there must be more creative uses we can put feathers to besides hair ornaments. I mean, wouldn't it be cool to have a throw blanket knitted out of feathers somehow?
Historically in the west we use to do alot with feathers, specifically hats. However we have the modern problem of A no hat culture and B Peta :he

So, @SourRoses and @miss heny , you're saying that just introducing a few production layers with fancy feathers is unlikely to provide any feathers that would be of commercial interest to fly tying? Bummer.
Is there a list of suppliers of GH eggs or chicks?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom