genetic help.

In that case the male offspring may or may not carry the genes needed to produce nutmegs, they have a 50/50 chance.

Since nutmeg is a sex linked color if the male doesn't show the color and he produces offspring that are sex linked that means he carries it. When it comes time to give his share of genes to the offspring he could either give the sex linked nutmeg gene, or the one that is not the nutmeg gene, hence the 50/50 shot.

Check out this thread - it has useful info about Nutmeg. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=322977

When a gene is sex linked this just means that it is a recessive gene that is carried on the Z sex chromosome. Males have two Z chromosomes so can carry two doses of a sex linked gene. Females have only one Z chromosome so can carry only one copy of the sex linked gene - plus they only need one copy to turn them the sex-linked colour. Males need two copies. So, a Nutmeg male is a gray drake with two recessive brown genes and a Nutmeg female is a grey duck with one dose of recessive brown.

If you bred a Nutmeg male to a grey female you'd get Nutmeg females and grey male offspring.

What is "Nutmeg" gene? In Mallard derived birds, I think "Nutmeg" is a hobby name assigned to birds of a particular phenotype/genotype, & not a specific gene?

Quote:
Not necessarily! If the brothers are pure for a recessive Z-linked factor, then they (the brothers) will express it (if not hidden/disguised)!

Quote:
Not necessarily! If the male bird is impure for a recessive Z-linked factor (& female doesn't have it), then only approx 50% female progeny will show colour sex-linkage.

Quote:
Yes they can! A sex-linked gene is a Z-linked gene, & females have a Z chromosome. For example, d (brown dilution) is found on the Z chromosome, & female ducks being Zw can have one brown dilution gene.

70%cocoa :

When a gene is sex linked this just means that it is a recessive gene that is carried on the Z sex chromosome. Males have two Z chromosomes so can carry two doses of a sex linked gene. Females have only one Z chromosome so can carry only one copy of the sex linked gene - plus they only need one copy to turn them the sex-linked colour. Males need two copies. So, a Nutmeg male is a gray drake with two recessive brown genes and a Nutmeg female is a grey duck with one dose of recessive brown.

If you bred a Nutmeg male to a grey female you'd get Nutmeg females and grey male offspring.

Nicely explained! This link shows a duck (female) that doesn't appear to be consistent colour-wise with desription given, eg, speculum "Iridescent brown"; she appears to have blue, or maybe just the lighting, I don't know?​

ok so only my first generation was sexliked and now they can be nutmeg males and females.
and i knew nutmeg wasnt a gene i just wasnt thinking.

THANKS.

Back
Top Bottom