Genetic Mystery

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
@Amer
In November I had a bunch of very dark eggs being laid, and I have a CCLB rooster so I collected 8 of the darkest eggs and gave to a broody hen to make Olive Eggers. I assumed most or all were from my marans pullets. The only other hens I have that lay dark eggs are Welsummers, its totally possible one egg was from them.
When the clutch of 8 hatched, I had 7 black barred chicks and one yellow chipmunk chick. All have the crest from their CCLB dad.
Here is my yellow chipmunk chick, she is 13 weeks old now. In the group shot she is standing tall in the centre behind the CLB/EE with the blue leg tag. I just noticed last week that she has feathered feet!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!? My CCLB and my Welsummers don't have feathers on their feet LOL so is she half marans?? Her hatch mate is the barred pullet next to her. The other 6 were roosters!
Can someone solve the mystery?

Maybe the green legs are part of the solution?

Attachments

• IMG_0589-1.JPG
    IMG_0589-1.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0591.JPG
    IMG_0591.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0595.JPG
    IMG_0595.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0600.jpg
    IMG_0600.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I have a flock of Crevecoeurs that I have been breeding since 1998, and in 2009, one cockerel had feathered legs and feet. Not a lot, but definitely not breed standard. Have not had any like that, before or since.

Just mentioning this because sometimes long-hidden traits, or maybe random mutations, pop up.

@Amer
In November I had a bunch of very dark eggs being laid, and I have a CCLB rooster so I collected 8 of the darkest eggs and gave to a broody hen to make Olive Eggers. I assumed most or all were from my marans pullets. The only other hens I have that lay dark eggs are Welsummers, its totally possible one egg was from them.
When the clutch of 8 hatched, I had 7 black barred chicks and one yellow chipmunk chick. All have the crest from their CCLB dad.
Here is my yellow chipmunk chick, she is 13 weeks old now. In the group shot she is standing tall in the centre behind the CLB/EE with the blue leg tag. I just noticed last week that she has feathered feet!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!? My CCLB and my Welsummers don't have feathers on their feet LOL so is she half marans?? Her hatch mate is the barred pullet next to her. The other 6 were roosters!
Can someone solve the mystery?

Maybe the green legs are part of the solution?
Do you have pictures of the possible parents? What color are the marans? I’m thinking the feathered feet came from the marans, but I’m not sure.

@RoostersAreAwesome @Amer

I have 3 copper marans hens. One is blue (grey) and two are black.

I think you're right, though ...I think my red head olive egger above is from a MARANS hen... I'll tell you why. Last week I hatched out some marans eggs. I opened all eggs that didn't hatch.

Keep in mind, my birds are in separate pens, (last 3 months marans not even in the same building as any others).

One of the eggs had a fully developed marans chick that was WHITE!!
Photo below. (WARNING photo of dead chick in a ziplock)

How can that happen?

This chick would've been a yellow chick (like my OE hen above- she was yellow chipmunk).

Attachments

• IMG_0699.JPG
    IMG_0699.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0700.JPG
    IMG_0700.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
@RoostersAreAwesome @Amer

I have 3 copper marans hens. One is blue (grey) and two are black.

I think you're right, though ...I think my red head olive egger above is from a MARANS hen... I'll tell you why. Last week I hatched out some marans eggs. I opened all eggs that didn't hatch.

Keep in mind, my birds are in separate pens, (last 3 months marans not even in the same building as any others).

One of the eggs had a fully developed marans chick that was WHITE!!
Photo below. (WARNING photo of dead chick in a ziplock)

How can that happen?

This chick would've been a yellow chick (like my OE hen above- she was yellow chipmunk).
Pictures of the marans would help. I’m thinking that they carry recessive wheaten and possibly recessive white. Was a black copper marans rooster with those hens?

yes, he still is in there with them (since Jan 1) I will attach photos now.
Keep in mind- this is the rooster that is in the breeding pen with them since Jan1, but the pullet in question was sired by my CCLB.

And the dead chick above that is white came from one of these hens with this rooster, so it isn't the rooster.

Attachments

• IMG_8260.jpg
    IMG_8260.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8270.jpg
    IMG_8270.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9063-1.JPG
    IMG_9063-1.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9042-1.JPG
    IMG_9042-1.JPG