genetic question for experts who know

tuesdays chicks

Songster
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
stuart florida
I'm new to raising chookes so bare with me, I don't breed just have 4 girls different breeds, I'm just wondering, say you have araucana ee's. some rumpless and some with tufts and a pure araucana rooster can you breed them back to true araucanas?

Quote:
are you an expert? because the way I see it people are taking pure bred birds and mixing them with something else to get new colors, then breeding the other bird back out and keeping the color. so there seems to me that there must be a way to bring back all the pure genes of the araucana.
an ee is the offspring of an amauricana mix or araucana mix some bamboo many generations down some maybe not so many.

Quote:
are you an expert? because the way I see it people are taking pure bred birds and mixing them with something else to get new colors, then breeding the other bird back out and keeping the color. so there seems to me that there must be a way to bring back all the pure genes of the araucana.
an ee is the offspring of an amauricana mix or araucana mix some bamboo many generations down some maybe not so many.

Yes but it still wouldnt be a PURE araucana, but if your not going to sell them or anything it wouldnt hurt to breed them to look like a pure aruacana.

thats kinda what I mean, I don't have any but it seems like it would be a fun project I know the rumpless are difficult to breed, and I'm fascinated with them now especially with all the disputes over the 3 breeds.

it depends on your definition of pure, if you are referring to the APA's requirements, then yes most certainly, if you are talking truly pure blooded then no, how ever if you are going by the second choice, there is no such thing as a pure blooded chicken, they are all descendant from different breeds who were not pure themselves and if you go back far enough, they were all dinosaurs and not chickens at all

thanks I don't know where the bamboo came from must be my auto spell check lol. I have to figure out how i'm going to talk dh into letting me have more chickens and a roo rolls my eyes and another hen house .

Many Araucanas today are less than pure as evidenced by the green and stone colored eggs that many people get. Most chickens are a mix somewhere in their past and the Araucana is no different.

I bought a rumpless tufted BBR roo with georgous huge balanced tufts and he had an equally huge straight comb. I bred him to my tiniest combed hens and so far so good. You take what you can find and breed to weed out the non acceptable parts. I don't know how hard the muffs and beard of the EE are to get rid of genetically but it sounds like you have the rumpless and tufted already so I would say go for it. Just get the best looking Araucana roo you can and see what they produce.

Eventually you will have pure Araucana, at least as pure as any Araucana gets considering they came from two different breeds and have been messed with over the years to get different colors that people want.

Lanae Cash

Actually, in my opinion the purer araucana should lay green eggs as they were developed by crossing a colonca (blue egg bird) and a quetro (brown egg bird). The eggs only get bluer through selection and eliminating the brown egg gene through many generations of breeding. Essentially, taking part of the original breeding equation out.
wink.png

That is true. Which re-enforces the point that the Araucana today is not a pure bird . That is why there is a standard. At the end of the day if we each breed and end up with a bird that meets the standard of perfection who is to say that how we got there is not acceptable. The standard for Araucana - at least the bantam size says that any egg color other than blue is a disqualification. Mine are all large fowl and two of my hens lay green eggs and the rest lay light to medium blue eggs. Next spring I will be more concerned about breeding for egg color. This year I just wanted babies. LOL

None of my birds are show quality or probably even close, but in a few years I may get there.

Lanae

Back
Top Bottom