Genetics chart, explanation of Chicken Calculator?

I'm happy to share/discuss what I've learned about the chicken genetics so far! And be very pleased to have someone else to bounce my own ideas off in return.

I have a very good knowledge of basic genetic "rules" so i'm confident with how things are passed on etc.. (I used to breed parrots).. but i'm still learning how to match theory with practice!

Thanks! I’m glad to hear it all makes some sense at some point! Do you have any recommendations that worked for you when trying to learn the “rules”? How did you learn?

I'm happy to share/discuss what I've learned about the chicken genetics so far! And be very pleased to have someone else to bounce my own ideas off in return.

I have a very good knowledge of basic genetic "rules" so i'm confident with how things are passed on etc.. (I used to breed parrots).. but i'm still learning how to match theory with practice!
:highfive:

Thanks! I’m glad to hear it all makes some sense at some point! Do you have any recommendations that worked for you when trying to learn the “rules”? How did you learn?

Hi WildFlower!
To start with I'd say you are best to work on the concept of genetic punnet squares - Dr Google can help you with this. The punnet square illustrates how the parents each contribute genes to their "theoretical" babies and I found it quite helpful to use them when I was starting out with my genetic plannings. Then you start working your way through the various genetic traits that are possible and how those traits pass on. I.e. are they sex linked or recessive. As you learn about your different chicken genetic traits you can fill in your punnet square (i.e. I know dad is Silver or Mom Is laced etc..)

Where I am at currently with my learning is comparing what I see on paper (theoretical genetics) with what I see on the bird. I.e. looking at a bird and saying.. yes I can see this bird exhibits "X" genetic trait and being able to visually identify traits in a bird where I don't know their actual genetic makeup. This is something that I expect will just take practice and help from those more experienced :)

Hi WildFlower!
To start with I'd say you are best to work on the concept of genetic punnet squares - Dr Google can help you with this. The punnet square illustrates how the parents each contribute genes to their "theoretical" babies and I found it quite helpful to use them when I was starting out with my genetic plannings. Then you start working your way through the various genetic traits that are possible and how those traits pass on. I.e. are they sex linked or recessive. As you learn about your different chicken genetic traits you can fill in your punnet square (i.e. I know dad is Silver or Mom Is laced etc..)

Where I am at currently with my learning is comparing what I see on paper (theoretical genetics) with what I see on the bird. I.e. looking at a bird and saying.. yes I can see this bird exhibits "X" genetic trait and being able to visually identify traits in a bird where I don't know their actual genetic makeup. This is something that I expect will just take practice and help from those more experienced :)
http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/Punnett_Monkey2.html
This?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/genetics-an-attempt-at-simplifying-the-complex.64782/

This is a link to another post on here that I have found very useful - I refer to it still. It shows a good basic list and quick explanation of genetic behaviours.

THIS!!! This is exactly what I felt like I was missing. Thank you so much for this link! It's simple enough for me to at least get a basic understanding...I'm tempted to print it out and then go and explore all the other links that have been posted again.

Back
Top Bottom